OT Can people not do mental arithmetic or use a calculator any more?

Not possible if you only buy stuff that is on special and always check that the special price really is special by keeping a list of the best special prices you have ever seen and vary what you buy depending on what is on special.

And if you are that short of money, that is the only sensible way to operate.

Reply to
hgt

Money. There are several youtube videos out there taking apart "solar" calculator where the solar panel is just a bit of plastic, or painted glass they're all quite boring videos though, but it seems old ones are genuine, new ones not so much.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Why wouldn't they?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Still useful for programmers.

Reply to
SteveW

Can't say I ever did any mental arithmetic in hex and it makes no sense to be forcing all little kids to remember their times table that far for the occasional few who might do that.

Reply to
hgt

I've been doing quite a bit in hex recently and I can do the times table for 16 now!

Reply to
Bob Eager

I did heaps of it in the past and never needed to do any mental arithmetic in hex.

Reply to
hgt

Loads of people - many on less than that. That's why we have food banks.

I spent £30 in the pub last night in 1 hour (two of us at £10 a round).

For some people that is a weeks food.

That is the reason I donate to food banks.

Reply to
ARW

I gave up when the pub manager asked "what's a square metre" when he wanted the toilet wall re-tiling

Reply to
ARW

Sometimes you really are a knob head.

Food banks are often used by people who are in work but are struggling to pay their bills.

Reply to
ARW

Brilliant reading material of my younger years.

Reply to
ARW

I think we can accept that as old enough to be genuine!

Reply to
Andy Burns

Even Brian Gaff can see that

And the gf has decided to apply for a new job because of fuel prices.

Reply to
ARW

I am happy that people cant do sums in their heads, but when people don't even know what sums, or science IS, I get very queasy.

These people have a vote.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That is a reason why I dont go to pubs. I spent £120 filling up the car yesterday. More important than 4 nights down the pub.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I really resent pub prices, at least for ordinary drinks. Maybe, if I were into real ale and the like, it would be different, but ordinary beer is £6-7 a pint in the pub, or £2 a pint in Tesco. A packet of crisps to go with it is £1.50 in the pub, or 30p in Tesco.

I realise that the pub has staff, etc, and it's probably not making a fortune, even though it's charging me a fortune! :)

Reply to
GB

just don't go

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

I don't have to, but until 2020 happily did.

Usually quite a bit less than 30 quid.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

Probably not - car drivers often don't have a public transport mindset.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname