OT Can people not do mental arithmetic or use a calculator any more?

That was a remarkably low price, and my earnings as a teenager, were more than a tenner a week. Even the staff dining room at the College of Agriculture (heavily subsidised) didn't have meals for a shilling.

I think 'old' is the word you were looking for...

Reply to
S Viemeister

We don't have a local Lidl but the Aldi does specials as well as their routinely lower prices on everything..

I only ever do that with fruit, tomatoes, potatoes and lettuce.

Nope, no waste if you microwave the potatoes in their jackets.

No waste with the frozen peas, corn kernels and beans and much more convenient and much cheaper too.

Never get that with because I buy all except the potatoes frozen.

Reply to
hgt

I don't. Mind you that's maybe just because I am a boomer.

...and yes I do have a mobile phone (two in fact) an iPhone that sits by my desk (more or less) permanently plugged in to my PC and one (an LG G5SE) that lives (more or less permanently) in the car (I use it as a sat-nav using Android auto).

Reply to
soup

It's not their fault, they are too busy telling little boys they should be little girls and vice-versa . And telling them that men dressed as women are suitable role models

Reply to
soup

I have done and still mess about with programming in FORTH. As FORTH is stack based, RPN is required.

Reply to
SteveW

I've been writing a compiler, and it compiles input expressions to RPN before walking the stack to generate code.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Well it would be 1972/3, I was born in June 1954 and it was the first term so I would be 18. We had two rooms of calculators, one was Boroughs with Nixie Tubes, the other had HP RPN. Looking at Wikipedia I these must have been the very first HP35 models.

I did't realize at the time they were so new. The lecturers seemed very confident and knowledgeble about them I do remember both rooms were locked but the HP machines were also on security cables.

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

I must say when I went on my industrial year in an actuarial department I had to learn how to use a Brunsviga mechanical calculator, but given the HPs appear to be priced at about half of my annual salary I can see why we stuck with the Brunsvigas...

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

Known as "bona fide travellers", with a minimum three mile limit. I'll travel to your village for a Sunday drink, and you can travel to mine.

Reply to
John Armstrong

They seem to require 26-28°C just to sit at a desk in an office

Reply to
Andy Burns

That is one advantage of a Welsh farm girl.

They are more economical with heating.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

We had those at school. I loved them. Tempted to buy an old one.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I had a student who had a Sinclair Scientific. He was rather put out that I could look up an arctangent whilst the Sinclair was still working on it - about 15 seconds. As I said to him "Ah but I've only used four-figure tables and you have the result to five figures" More amazing was the he had used what I took to be some desoldering braid to connect the display to the Sinclair main board.

Without any shorts!!

PA

Reply to
Peter Able

I've kept my receipts since forever, and in the last few years my weekly grocery spend has been: £26, £17, £20, £26, £20, £24, £24, £21.

jgh

Reply to
Jonathan Harston

Last holdout hasn't caved I still don't access a mobile phone apart from the limited sat-nav use. The one on my desk seems to be more for ornamentation than anything else, it was my son's but when he got a new one I inherited this (that was many moons ago he moved out about four years ago) 'tis an iPhone 5, yeah I know Noah had a more modern phone on the ark.

What about being in contact all the time and being able to access social media makes one so clever

Don't know never looked . Mind you I suppose I won't (find it/look)

Reply to
soup

When I worralad in the 1980s we had to dig through the snow to the coal shed to build up the fire in the morning.

Reply to
Jonathan Harston

Some time ago I wrote some PDP11 floating point routines, and that required me to remember logs and stuff. exponent and mantissa, multiply by adding exponents, etc.

jgh

Reply to
Jonathan Harston

I did a similar thing a few years ago on a BBC Master. Just for fun. The first complier was written in BBC Basic, then I wrote a self-compiling compiler.

Reply to
Max Demian

While wearing thin, short-sleeved tops and moaning about how cold it is.

Reply to
Andrew

You should have gone to work for M&S then. (excellent) Staff meals were

5p right up until about 2000 when the great unwashed started shopping at Primark and supermarkers for clothes and towels etc and M&S no longer made vast profits

Reply to
Andrew