[OT] Can iPlayer Radio on Android cast to telly's Chromecast?

I can cast the audio from the iPlayer Radio app on my Android tablet to a Chromecast-Audio device that's attached to a stereo player.

(This is done as true "casting" in which the digital audio stream goes from the wireless router direct to the Chromecast-Audio device. It can also be done by diverting all Android audio output to the Chromecast-Audio device.)

The Android iPlayer Radio app is such a nice way of accessing BBC radio that I want to give someone a Chromecast-Audio device to do this. Unfortunately she doesn't have a stereo player but she does have a telly. So I thought I could give her a telly-Chromecast device instead.

Would she be able to cast iPlayer Radio from her tablet to the telly version of Chromecast?

Reply to
pamela

Does give me the option here. Couldn't you wire the audio chromecast to the scart or L/R phono input and select it as an AV input on the TV?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes, it does now:

Note that Amazon (Kindle) Fire tablets are not supported, because you cannot access the Google Play Store to download the BBC iPlayer Radio app, but I understand it's actually fairly easy to work around that.

I really like the iPlayer Radio app too - the ability to download almost any programme from the past 7 days for later listening, not just those which are podcasts, is fantastic - though it'd be good in a future release if the ability to save these DRM downloads to an SD card was introduced (at present they can only be saved on the devices internal memory).

Reply to
Mizter T

Given the recipient doesn't have a sound system, the telly Chromecast (same cost as the audio one at £30) would do the job plus offers all the further televisual options. It does need a tv set with an HDMI input.

Reply to
Mizter T

You're right, I tried it before answering, and thought my TV's USB provided power to the chromecast in standby (I used to be able to power the TV on by starting to cast to it) but obviously not, after I powered on the TV, the iplayer radio *does* offer casting ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Heh! I meant to write "doesn't" but it turns out it does after all ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Don't get too comfy with this as the BBC will probably screw it up in a few months as they seem to do with most things that worked well before. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

A blue-tooth speaker/connection would achieve the same thing. It would also be cheaper and easier.

2p
Reply to
WeeBob

Is it true casting which works when the Android device is switched off completely, or is it screen mirroring of is shown and heard on the Android device?

Reply to
pamela

Yes, just tested it, the stream continues if the tablet is powered off

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thanks for checking. I appreciate it.

Chromecast for telly overlaps the audio version even more than I expected.

Reply to
pamela