OT (but science ...)

My answers to your questions are (a) no and (b) I don't know which aromatics you have in mind but do know that the crucial question is not "are some lost?" but "how much of which ones are lost?".

Given you haven't shared the results of your or others' experiments it would be nice to know at least (a) which volatiles you have in mind; and (b) why you disagree with publihsed results from e.g. gas chromotography showing retention rates of the flavour compounds of 50% and more (which commercially is 50% or more of the content in feed which has had aromatics released in the "brewing" captured and added back).

Worth stressing that it's not just a mater of sublimation rates of water vs other compounds at -40C. With spray freeze drying a film forms on droplets. It's a membrane which allows water to pass more easily than big-moleculed volatiles.

(I worked with someone whose doctorate was on SFD techniques.)

Reply to
Robin

The W "Glucose forms white or colorless solids that are highly soluble in water and acetic acid but poorly soluble in methanol and ethanol. They melt at 146 °C (295 °F) (α) and 150 °C (302 °F) (β), and decompose starting at 188 °C (370 °F) with release of various volatile products, ultimately leaving a residue of carbon."

and it lists a melting but not boiling point.

See:

Tim Streater

Robin

I once shagged a carpenter's wife but I'm still crap at woodwork.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

But how much did she know about carpentry and how much time did you spend talking about it?

Reply to
Robin

This change in tone in a cup of tea etc. was a final year physics project when I was at university in 1982.

Reply to
mm0fmf

She knew little of carpentry, although she had her own vice.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright