Thunderbird filters

I would seem to have got Thunderbird installed and working, plus I think I like what I see, but I am struggling with use of the filters...

I am filtering Rod Speed out, on his email address (plus others), what I would also like to do is filter him just on his poster name too, as email alone doesn't pick all of them out. How do I set up a filter on his name alone please?

I have enabled the filter log, so I can see what posts are being deleted.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Try "From" "begins with" or "Contains".

One thing I do when testing a new filter is rather than using "Delete" in "Perform these actions" I use "Tag Message". This makes the message titles display in a colour like green (personal), red (Important), etc. I can also manually remove all these tags from the messages and test the filter again.

When I'm happy the filter is selecting the right messages, I switch it to "Delete"

Reply to
Pancho

I don't think you can do that in Thunderbird filters.

"From" is strictly the email address between the angle brackets.

However, contains "rod.speed" ought to get most of them.

Tag them with a silly colour if you are experimenting with new rules.

Adding custom fields for "Newsgroups", "Organisation", "References", "User agent" and "X-Complaints-To" will give you enough degrees of freedom to zap most unwanted crap with little or no inadvertent collateral damage if you are careful.

BTW it is unwise to discuss too many exact keywords or specific rules to target or strategies since the miscreants may be reading this group.

Reply to
Martin Brown

yup, a filter that is set to "match any of the following", then A bunch of "from" "contains" lines as required. It will match on an address or part of one, as well as the text bit.

Yup that helps - and as suggested elsewhere, just tagging to test can be helpful. You can also "run now" on a filter to activate it on existing content rather than just new stuff coming in.

Drop me an email, and I will send you some example configs.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks, that seems to be working - the deleted post log is filling up with Rod Speed :-)

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq