OT: Budget treadmills

My wife got through three before giving up and switching to a cross-trainer. All within a year, replaced under warranty.

The problem was that the moving belt ran across a stationary plate, and even though we were oiling under the belt as recommended, the friction was still too much for the motor. I suppose top of the range models use an array of very thin rollers under the belt, or possibly a much larger motor.

She was well under the maximum recommended weight limit, by the way. I forget what make, but a reputable one.

Reply to
Joe

Nah, that would never work. They all have a flat deck beneath the belt. A belt flexible enough to go over the main drive roller would sag under foot impact with every step. It would be most unpleasant to run on!

Best bet would be a quality used one. Will have done most of its depreciation and if not heavily used probably be easy to sell on.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

That makes sense, thanks for the heads-up.

I'm guessing a thicker and stronger belt rather than supporting rollers (uncomfortable).

Reply to
AnthonyL

I was going to suggest a cross-trainer as being easier on the knees ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Nah forget that. Pair of socks on your feet and stand on some highly polished parquet flooring and try walking/running, costs nothing. ;O)

Reply to
soup

I sadly got some PTFE spray on our kitchen vinyl floor, with a similar effect. :)

Reply to
GB