Identifying filing cabinet key from lock front number

I have a 4 drawer filing cabinet which I no longer need. I am told that nobody wants one unless it has a key (sell or donate). I've had it so long that I have no idea where the key went.

There is the number 0815 on the front. I can't see any other identifying marks. I assume that you would need a key to take the lock out of the drawer front to investigate further.

I can't at the moment find anything on the filing cabinet which indicates a manufacturer.

The first two key replacement sites I tried gave me multiple options, so I am not keen on spending abut £5 a pop (including postage) for a variety of keys.

Any tips on how to identify?

I would like to recycle via charity rather than just sling it.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Google lens ?

In my last job, I inherited a load of locking cupboards that were missing keys. There was a second hand office furniture outfit the company had used before. Guy came round (they were literally down the road) and he knew *everything* about furniture locks. Was able to order spares on the spot.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Thankfully I have now found a label on the side of a drawer.

The cabinet dates from 2000 and is Samas No 14 Roneo.

I've emailed a key supplier with the photos so we shall see if they can identify the lock and supply a key.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Would you remember if it looked like this?

Andy Burns

How odd, I have several filing cabinets used for storage of (mostly) electrical and plumbing supplies, never needed the keys.

Reply to
Chris Green

I don't need the key. The next owner might. I've asked and you can't donate it to charity without a key.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Remember? As in memory from around 2000? Absolutely no idea.

It should have been in the lock or in the top drawer. But wasn't

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

<snip>

First key supplier doesn't stock that key. I've now emailed a second one. Eventually I'll just get fed up and sling it - offering it free in the first case.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Agreed, they might need a key. But list it on Freecycle or similar and I'd say there's a good chance you'll find someone who'll take it.

Reply to
RJH

This guy

has never let me down.

Reply to
Scion

They come up fairly regularly on free sites, no mention of keys.

Look for your locale. Freecycle -

-
(search for freebies) -

wasbit

That looks to me as if it might be a Lowe and Fletcher (L&F) key number. In the past, L&F supplied the locks to the vast majority of office furniture and filing cabinets made in the UK and beyond and since they are still in business they possibly still do.

If it's what I think it is, there will be a master key for that lock series so if you can't find what you want from L&F or one of their distributors, the master key might get you out of trouble.

Good luck.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

That's silly - find another charity. Plenty of them will accept filing cabinets without keys.

Reply to
jkn

Contact your nearest seller of used office furniture. He'll have the answer

Reply to
fred

Indeed. Some charity shops are very fussy. I once took a desk to one, the desk had a slight water stain on one drawer. They wouldn't take it.

Anyway, drill a small hole just over the snap lock and the cabinet can then be opened by pushing a small rod into the hole.

Reply to
charles

That is not necessarily true. There are variations in filing cabinet loks

Reply to
fred

Noting that this cabinet is not locked. It just required the ability to be locked and unlocked.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David