Who has bought a snow blower recently?

I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get one. The local guys want $35 a pop to clear the driveway, and we've already had 2 or 3 heavy snows here in northwestern IL.

From what I've read in the archives, Ariens seems to be a favorite. There's only one Ariens dealer locally, so I'm going to go out there today and see what they have. My experience with them (at least with John Deere equipment) is that their prices are pretty high.

Anyone know the going street price for the Ariens 926LE?

Also, Home Depot is offering 12 months same-as-cash (which I could really use!) but they only have Yard Macines and Toro.

Reply to
Anonymous

in buffalo ny we only get 90 inches of snow per year and we're tired of operating and repairing the gas operated machines.

we first played with the toro snow broom last year it's fun, and just bought the toro 1800. electricity no gasoline. so great it when they start everytime. go to epinions.com and read some reviews.

with a 26" 8hp gas craftsman 10 years old, if you always will think your machine can eat into heavy plowed snow and ice with its self-propelled appetite and noisy power, you will be fixing it just like i did about every 2 hours.

Reply to
buffalobill

its what you need for Christmas.

Reply to
m Ransley

Maybe a better question is, "How has your brand held up". You will get a thumbs up/ down on just about everything out there. I'ver heard the least negative about Ariens but I've had a Craftsman for 9 yrs - 10HP B&S engine - and no problems whatsoever. If need to store a blower in an unheated shed or unattached garage I would recommend an electric starter. After it's warmed up it is easy to re-start but I've only had to do that twice in all these years and that was due to running out of fuel. Hint: Buy yourself one of those military-like parkas with the hood that envelopes your head and face. When you inevitably get the blow back you will be glad you have one.

Reply to
C & E

Best blowers on the market are Hondas...

Also the most expensive too.

Tom

Reply to
BocesLib

Here's an interesting one!

Rick

I don't know about the others but we have found out recently that John Deere's agents will rip you off rather than tell you all you need is a 2 dollar replaceable bolt to make money. So their service isn't that good either.

MoM

Reply to
MoM

When I need a part for my JD tractor or its snow thrower I look at the exploded view with my parts guy on his computer and agree on exactly what part is needed and I buy just that. You need to work with your parts guy, not consider him your enemy. I easily get what I need, only what I need, and I am back in service without problem.

The 2 service departments that I deal with are also fine. Sheesh. Beware of blanket statements like the above..... Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

That was NOT a blanket statement. Just an illustration of what happened to me. They wanted me to drag in my snowblower for service because one of the paddles wasn't working.

I called a small engine shop near us and "THEY" told us, without seeing the machine, that all we needed was a replaceable bolt that snaps off to save the blades and gearbox. $2.

The JD agent didn't suggest that. He didn't suggest anything. Just bring it in. Right.

MoM

Reply to
MoM

I bought the 8HP YardMachines unit at HomeDespot last January. My 10YO Crapsman gave up the ghost and I needed something. IMO, if you're reasonably strong it's a good deal. It is big and does take some moosing around (no universal) but it's cheap and does a good job. We're in a throw away society and I'm not going to fight it. ;-)

Reply to
Keith

THe YardMachines I bought last year has an electric start, but the only time I've used it was the first start this year. It always starts on the first pull, even at -20F (unheated garage). My Crapsman started the first pull too (except the first of the year). Modern gas engines are much easier to start than those of 20 years ago.

Home Despot threw in the "cab" when I bought mine last year. It makes it somewhat harder to manouvre but it does keep the blow-back, um, back,

Reply to
Keith

local guys want

or 3 heavy

favorite.

least with

high.

I could

Maybe a better question is, "How has your brand held up". You will get a thumbs up/ down on just about everything out there. I'ver heard the least negative about Ariens but I've had a Craftsman for 9 yrs -

10HP B&S engine - and no problems whatsoever. If need to store a blower in an unheated shed or unattached garage I would recommend an electric starter. After it's warmed up it is easy to re-start but I've only had to do that twice in all these years and that was due to running out of fuel. Hint: Buy yourself one of those military-like parkas with the hood that envelopes your head and face. When you inevitably get the blow back you will be glad you have one.
Reply to
Boots

I live in Central Ohio and we get an occasional snowfall in excess of 6 inches but 2 - 3 inches seems to be more the norm when it snows.

I have an MTD/YardMan 5.5 hp Tecumseh engine with a 21" width that works just fine for this type of moderate snowfall. I had a hard time justifying $900 or so for a snowthrower when it doesn't get used even weekly during the winter. The YardMan is a single stage that was about $375 new.

If I am out of town on business, my wife or son can use the electric start. I don't mind shoveling but it's nice to get the driveway/walks cleared quickly before heading off to work.

Reply to
daved

Don't screw around with the toys, get yourself a real blower. This will send the snow back to where it came from!

JohnR66

How do you think they stay in business selling a few 2 dollar bolts a day?

In other cases I have seen people coming in and asking a ton of questions on how to repair a blower (or other equipment).

Then they buy a 2 dollar gasket and go. I would be annoyed too if I were the owner. Why should they tell you how to do the job to save you money? Do you do the same thing with your car??? Ask the mechanic a ton of questions and then repair it yourself??? This can be a safety hazzard. Same applies to power equipment.

The wrong sheer bolt in there can cause problems. If you hit something and it does NOT break like its suppose to, the differential with be next in line to go. That get much more expensive. Have fun replacing that!!!! An honest repair guy wouldnt charge that much to put in a 2.00 part. Actually they would install it and give it a quick shot of grease into the fitting and be done with it.

Reply to
BocesLib

Hi Mitch. I can tell you this after many years of fixing and selling used snowblowers. Ariens and Honda are the best. They still continue to use quality parts. Also a used ariens wouldnt be a bad option.They are a dime a dozen in the summer. You can still get any part you need for a

30 year old ariens. Honda have the best motors out there. If I had to buy a new one I would pick between the honda and ariens. Keeping in mind you will need servicing from time to time and will you be able to get parts 10 years down the road? Good luck
Reply to
conan

I don't know, but you must have had a lemon for a snow blower. I have a 20 year old Toro, and have never had any problems with it. I live up in Montreal, so we get quite a bit of snow ourselves, and it has never failed me. In the 20 years, it's been in the shop once for a simple tuneup and verification of auger blades and balancing etc... but nothing major. Took it in, simply because for the first 10 years of it's life, it was used heavily at a commercial establishment, by my Dad, as a primary snow removal device for a truck loading dock where a snow removal truck was NOT an option. I change spark plug on it, once every other year, and thats it...

Happy Holidays...

Reply to
The_Emporium