Raised french drain?

Hello all,

I have a question on adding a french drain around part of my basement that was re-inforced with vertical steel I-beams. The beams go into the basement floor next to the wall and touch the wall, thereby holding the wall up (long story, there was a long horizontal crack, anyway that's ok now).

I don't want to cut into the floor and weaken the foundations of the beams. But I might want to add a french drain, as on really wet days it does leak a little.

So I was thinking of adding a raised barrier, away from the wall an inch or two, all the way round, skirting the beams where they protrude out, and then drop down into a regular drain which exists around the corner.

Wondering what materials to use and to seal the stuff from coming out. Maybe a plastic barrier sealed in with cement, and then painted with waterproof paint inside on the side facing the wall?

Thanks for any ideas,

Dean

Reply to
dean

THe only way to do it right is the outside of the house.

Reply to
Art

All of the French drains I have seen go on the outside of the wall.

Reply to
SQLit

Reply to
Rush Limballs