Kindle battery

Any repair possible?

Early model. Works OK with the charger connected but no sign of the battery storing charge:-( Apart from a long cable under the bathroom door, any fix suggestions?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Short cable with a powerbank?

You could even fix the powerbank to the back of the Kindle and label it "Extra long life expedition add-on".

Reply to
Robin

Or not use the toilet as a library. There is a convenient power outlet near the door so extending the charger outlet seems safest and cheapest. Last resort. Buy another Kindle and transfer the books:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Yeah, read an actual book. They don't need batteries.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I've seen instructions on battery replacement, even for my very old Kindle Keyboard. The case seems to be a pig to open, but after that it seems OK.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Prune juice ?? :-)

Reply to
Andrew

But they don't survive being dropped in the bath as my Kobo (Kindle look-alike) does. It's also much handier than a pile of several books and tucks into my bag very easily.

Reply to
Chris Green

Yes, on a Paperwhite, the bezel is glued on and must be carefully prised off. After that, it's a few screws.

As always, replacement batteries are a lottery, with most of them claimed to be 'genuine'.

Reply to
Joe

This reminds me of the issue of power in bathrooms.

In our (French) motor home there is a 13A power socket in the bathroom/ toilet just under the sink and in easy reach of both the shower and the toilet. The most irritating thing is you need to move the toilet roll to plug anything in!

Apart from old James Bond films - I think in From Russia With Love an electric fire was thrown into a bath tub - is there any good reason these days to avoid all power points in bathrooms?

If you can have a shaver socket by the wash hand basing, perhaps you could have a USB charger next to the "throne"?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

The mobile phone repair guys can probably do this for around £50 or so, but is it worth it?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Cursitor Doom snipped-for-privacy@notformail.com writes

I read ones that come my way. Perish the thought of paying new prices.

A benefit of advanced years is the ability to re-read and enjoy a book after an interval of 6 months or so.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Ah. Useful knowledge.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Play at 1.5 speed as there is very little actually involved but he manages to spin it out to 5 minutes. Seems to require little skill but a modicum of moral fibre.

Maybe upgrade to the "paper white" version, which has a lighted text field, handy for reading in the 'dark'.

That, being able to change font size(if I have forgotten my glasses), and the ability to have X No of books with me, are reasons (I feel) Kindle is better than actual books.

Reply to
soup

......like BBC programs.

Reply to
jon

I have one similar to this -

<LUCKYDUO Mini Power Bank 5000mAh,3 IN 1 Portable Charger,Fast Charging Powerbank für iphone/USB C/Micro USB Handys,Portable Phone Charger Klein aber Stark Kompatible für iPhone,Samsung, Huawei>

Mine is usb C only, but this one also handles micro usb.

This time of year, though - I would be looking for a good price on a Kindle Paperwhite. The improvement over the old models is, IMHO, worth every penny

Reply to
S Viemeister

Judging by the scorch marks on the back, battery no 2 is already in place. Batteries from Amazon are pricey!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I'd agree with all of that. If this is an early model Kindle, it really doesn't owe you anything and a replacement Paperwhite (modest discounts on them currently) is worth the extra dosh (unlike the Oasis).

It might be worth checking to see if there are any 'refurbished' Paperwhites on offer - but I doubt if the difference in price would be really worth it.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

There are currently good trade-in deals. Bought a Paperwhite on a Black Friday deal + Trade-in:

£35 off for BF £15 trade in for a working 5th gen Kindle 20% off for trade in

Bring the price down from £160 (Paperwhite 16GB no ads) to £90.

If your Kindle isn't working then the trade in value is a fiver, but you still get all the other discounts.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I struggled and replaced the battery in my old Kindle. There is a bewildering array of different batteries available. In the end I gave up and bought a new one

Reply to
fred

OK Sam and Theo. It was a *hand me down* gift anyway so really doesn't owe me anything!

By some magic, it has recovered! Doubtful battery connection or charger not fully inserted...

Reply to
Tim Lamb