Kindle battery

fluff in the USB socket (remove with wooden toothpick) is often a problem, but since you said it would run, but not charge, while plugged in, it's not likely your problem ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I resurrected a dead 5th gen for the trade-in offer. Trick was to fully charge it, and then to do a hard power cycle: you have to hold in the power button (in the 5th gen case, the button on the bottom next to the power port) for *40 seconds* and then it came alive. That's much longer than is usual for hold-the-button-for-power-cycle on most other things.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Tim Lamb snipped-for-privacy@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk:

In case it croaks again there are currently 60 Kindle Paperwhites selling on ebay as new or opened unused. A completed item search suggests that these go for between 30 & 40quid. At that price I wouldn't bother with a repair and the paperwhite is excellent, the backlight makes it a far more pleasant read.

Reply to
fread

I had one of the early Kindles and if the battery went flat on a subsequent charge it would take around 10 to 15 minutes before the charging light on the kindle would come on. From memory, I think the instructions said this was normal.

Reply to
alan_m

This could be the issue. I'll look more closely for the next re-charge. On this occasion I had left it discharged for a day or two.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Changing the battery on earlier Kindles is not difficult. On some of the models the battery has a blob of glue/mastic holding it to the cover, just warm with a hairdryer or use more force ! Whether it is worthwhile is another matter.

Reply to
Robert

alan_m snipped-for-privacy@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote

The Paperwhite still does that.