OT BT

Don't you just love BT

A third of our village (population 6000) has been without broadband or telephone lines since 00.15 Wednesday but there is no mention on BT broadband status page of any outage (I have a 3g card as well so could check)

We are on an exchange serving 14000 properties

Phones had no out of service message either they just rang

Apparently pikies stole 400 metres of cable from under the ground acording to the engineer who called this morning

No coincidence that this was next to a substation where 4 Eon vans have been parked for the last 3 days and nights since the phones went down

Service came back this morning

My second line came back yesterday but has been connected wrongly so I get calls from a elderly lady's daughter trying to contact her from France. Lets hope it is sorted before my business calls start on Monday

Regards

Reply to
TMC

Look on the bright side. You should have much better cables and joints now. ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh dear! It's not PC to call them Pikies.

They are: Caravan Using Nomadic TravellerS

mark

Reply to
mark

Or Pikeys ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So someone steals 400 metres of a 2000 pair cable, that BT has to get, pull-in and terminate both ends - actually it will more because no doubt the b******s hacked it off adjacent to the duct entrance - and it's their fault ! The answer is to lock up both the thieves and those handling the stolen goods, for a LONG time and stuff their HRs. Instead Clarke plans to close six prisons, so expect more people to be inconvenienced and BT to be even busier in future.

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

As would likely happen if they were caught and convicted. That's usually the difficult part.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , mark writes

Mark, you should hear what I call them after they nicked £15.000:00 of aluminium from me last year. That definitely is not PC !!!!!!!!

Reply to
Bill

No, they get given a couple of years suspended, no fine and a few weeks "skills for life course" i.e. basic reading writing etc. so they are better equipped if they branch out into fraud as well. I was not amused!

Reply to
Bill

Hence C.U.N.T.S

mark

Reply to
mark

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "mark" saying something like:

Cobblers. Pikeys they are and Pikeys they shall remain.

Useless ones.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

No don't get me wrong here I do not see the theft as BTs fault

Their handling of it has left a bit to be desired

At least an out of service message on all lines maybe something like 'this number is out of service due to thieving pikeys'

also it took from fault report at 00.35 wednesday morning until about 13.00 on thursday to start digging the trench next to the ducts which is about 24 hours longer than I would have anticipated considering thenumber of people affected

Just curious but how long would it take the pikeys after cutting the cable to have it away and how would they do the job?

Reply to
TMC

Cut the cable. Tie one end to a rope with a non-slip knot. Tie the other end of the rope to the towball on the back of their dropside Tranny. Drive away pulling cable out of ductwork. Pile up cable on back of tranny. Cover with tarp. Fsck off quick.

Reply to
Dave Osborne

Send them back to bloody ireland.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , The Natural Philosopher writes

Pay attention over there

Reply to
geoff

Good call there are loads of job opportunities over there

thieving all of the pipework lead and cable from the unfinished property developments

Reply to
TMC

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember The Natural Philosopher saying something like:

Not wanted here, thanks very much.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Many of them originate in Eire. Rumour has it that since trespass became a criminal offence they moved to somewhere where it remains a civil offence - no gaol sentences.

Incidentally that subset aren't Gypsies either.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

At a rough guess you're in Niffy too?

To discover that I had to phone a friend who is a BT engineer.

Mine came back at 3am Monday, but they had to visit the two green boxes closest to me, didn't expect them to have to touch those.

Oh, perhaps that's why they were visiting the green boxes! Aren't 1000 pair cables colour coded, or are the records just shit?

Reply to
Andy Burns

That's one method, apparently (according to my BT friend) some have "proper" cable pulling gear, and vans painted with BT logo, so as not to arouse suspicion.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes they are coded but I doubt they update the records when a pair is moved to repair a fault.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice