Plumbing - don't you just love it...

Need to do some maintenance to the power shower (work out why the hot flow seems to be restricting more and more, and the flow switch on the hot side doesn't work, which may be related).

Now, I have another shower over the bath, but it's never worked because it is low pressure and has double-check non- return valves fitted, which pretty much stop all forward flow too. Want this working so I can be without the power shower for a few days.

To fix either of these, I have to shut off the gate valves in the feeds from the loft tank. I discover most of them don't work at all, and the only one which does (power shower cold supply) only turns part way off.

So I will have to drain the tank. I turn off the tank feed, and order a set of full bore 1/4 turn valves.

Full bore valves arrive just as the tank runs out of water, which is a bit of good timing. Replace 4 gate valves with

4 full-bore valves (two 15mm, and two 22mm). Also, remove the non-return valves from the low pressure shower. (Looks like someone has already replaced the originals with giant 1.25" ones, presumably in an earlier failed attempt to improve the flow.) Refill tank a bit, check for leaks, none! Low pressure shower now works well enough as a backup.

Refill the tank completely. Stopcock on tank inlet starts leaking through the shaft/stuffing box, so have to turn it off until I can see to that, although I now have the tank full. Check for leaks on my new plumbing, and everything is bone dry.

Half an hour later, I'm suddenly aware of a waterfall sound. Run up and check all the plumbing, but no sign, and I can't hear it now. Back downstairs, and I can hear it again. Eventually find one of the upstairs loos is pissing out through its overflow into the front flower bed, which is now a mud puddle. Fortunately, it has its own isolating valve, which I turn off. At that point, the isolating valve starts leaking through its screwdriver slot, sigh. By jiggling it with the screwdriver, I can stop it leaking.

Take the top off the torbeck valve in the WC, and it's got a bit of grit in it, probably something washed through as a result of emptying the tank. Put it back together, and check it works - it does. Glance back at isolating valve, which is now leaking again. Again, some jiggling with a screwdriver stops this, but I'm obviously going to have to swap it.

At least I can now turn off the water without having to drain the tank again.

BTW, haven't got as far as even looking at the power shower issue yet, which is what started this all off, and I've still got the isolating valve to replace and and tank inlet stopcock...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Done all that already. Had the mixer valve apart too (very simple non-thermostatic), and that was all fine.

This morning, now that I've got a nice new set of isolating valves in place, I took the shower pump off. That revealed a pair of inlet filter-type washers that I didn't know where there, both quite clogged, but not excessively so. Anyway, I popped out to local hardware store, and bought a couple of replacements, as the rubber washers often don't re-seal well when they've gone hard. Also found the reed switch (or hall effect flowswitch, don't know which it is) had come partially unclipped, and that might explain the lack of triggering by the hot flow. Cleaned up, vacuumed/blew out the dust from the motor, refitted. It now works fine.

It's a NewTeam 350, 21 years old.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I didn't need to empty the hot water cylinder anyway, so no hot water would have been wasted, but I did let it go cold so I wasn't having to reach through hot pipes to get to the shower pump, which is right at the back of the airing cupboard.

I was wondering how long the loft tank lasts me, and the answer is several days (at least, with only a very feeble shower available). Also avoiding wasting a tankful, although that's insignificant cost wise.

Actually, I quite enjoy plumbing. It was the series of consequential things that didn't work or broke which was remarkable.

At least the end result is satisfying - I don't need a new shower pump, which is what I was half expecting what with it being over

20 years old.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel