Don't you love Focus?

Wanted - grommets for back boxes.

Found - a single remaining bag on the shelf at Focus.

But - bag had previously been opened and is missing two grommets - only 8 not 10.

So - asked for discount at till.

Was offered - 10%

Pointed out - that 20% of the contents were missing.

Told - they can only offer 10% due to head office.

Walked out.

Rang - head office and was told they could offer what they wanted.

Greedy incompetent gits. I didn't even ask for a discount beyond the number missing. OK, I know this is a tiny annoyance but it is the attitude problem. WTF should I pay *more* per grommet because they have only have an opened pack?

Now off chest.

Reply to
Rod Hewitt

If I ruled the world I would have offered the short package at 50% off or FOC if bought alongside the other bits you need to do the job.

But I don't. :(

DG

Reply to
Derek *

In article , Derek * writes

Course wouldn't you be singing their praises if they'd said "have them with our compliments sir!".

That would have been many times worth the cost to them of the price of the bag in repeat sales, and the goodwill you'd trumpet about them!.

These big chain's have no bl**dy idea on customer service and how to treat them;(...

Reply to
tony sayer

You actually found the item you wanted, albeit not up to scratch? I'd have killed for that! "Home is the place where, if you have to go there, they have to let you in"

Reply to
Paper2002AD

snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnoreply (Paper2002AD) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m05.aol.com:

Should count myself lucky! Like it.

Reply to
Rod Hewitt

Put the boot on the other foot. Certain customers, who wouldn't be reading this group of course, may take out a couple of items from the new pack while strolling to the checkout, then claim the discount and still have a full set. So Focus need to be sticky to avoid getting ripped off.

Reply to
john

I now make a point of not buying anything from them - the last time I tried to buy something, the staff seemed to think I was invisible, but quickly attended to every _male_ customer who walked in. I went elsewhere, and spent several hundred pounds, at a shop that didn't assume females can't tell hammers from screwdrivers. I do a _lot_ of diy, and learned to use tools as a child.

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister

In fact when we were looking for a car for the missus we had in mind an Audi A4 but the attitude of the jumped up t**ts in the Audi dealer pissed her, and for that matter me, right off. They only wanted to talk to me despite telling them repeatedly that "she" was the customer, and it was "her" money that was being spent.

Net result was option Two, a Volvo, where despite the salesman's young age he certainly was more aware on how to treat a lady, hence the ensuing sale:)

Reply to
tony sayer

When we bought the last car for swmbo we clearly and repeatedly told the sales youth that the car was hers. Went to pick it up and the ownership papers are in my name. Changing them would make the car have one more owner. We were not best pleased but what can you do? Won't be going back there in a hurry though.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Reply to
John Borman

I hate him even more now, I might look into that. Thanks.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Yes whilst thats true, it very much seems that no one is empowered to make decisions, it seeming that they have engendered a very "jobsworth" attitude by their management, and we know just how bad that can be in the UK......

Reply to
tony sayer

Why not do it as a surprise for your wife, and make something good out of something bad?

Alex

Reply to
Alex (YMG)
[29 lines snipped]

A salesperson in Pilling Volvo in Hemel Hempstead was once so rude to us that we not only walked out, never to return, but I wrote to Volvo UK to complain. Not that it did any good, but it made me feel better.

Reply to
Huge
[33 lines snipped]

In this world, there are two kinds of problems. My problems and your (Focus's) problems. I don't care about your problems.

Reply to
Huge

I think they do. What they can't do is instill that attitude into the sort of spotty faced youth who's educationally qualified to do a minimum wage job.

If the people working on the counter in such places were any good, they'd be doing a better paid job somewhere else.

tim

Reply to
tim

You could have made the dealer cancel the registration (they can do that now). Would have delayed you getting the car but it would have been a lot of (well deserved) hassle for the dealer.

Reply to
Rory

Yes. I hadn't been to Focus until yesterday and they were OK but today we went to a caravan dealer and bought one small item. The chap (neither spotty nor young) put it in a bag. Spouse told him not to bother, we didn't want a bag. We were told that it was a sign of proof of purchase. 'Don't we get a receipt?' I asked. 'Oh yes,' said jobsworth, 'but if my management sees you walking past with something not in a bag I'll be in trouble. Rules must be obeyed'.

I wish I'd had the gumption to say that it's against our rules not to accept unnecessary packaging. Instead I took the item out of the bag and held it up while I walked passed 'management'.

Of course no-one said anything.

I dropped the bag in the car park.

I KNOW I shouldn't have done it and it didn't help but if we ever go there again (doubtful*) I'll have a speech prepared.

Mary

  • another thing we asked for was an isolator (he had to be told it was a gas tap) for an 8mm pipe. He went in the back and said he could get one, it would take about a week. No offer to post it, we were expected to drive 20 miles and back for it.
Reply to
Mary Fisher

The one nearest to me seems to also be populated by surly teenagers, especially at weekends.

Their typical attitude is to scan everything and then ask for the money without saying please. I have noticed that in this place it's common - doesn't seem to happen at all often anywhere else that I go at least. I'm not expecting shop assistants to bow and scrape, but it is a common courtesy to say "please" when asking for something, even if good customer service etiquette would suggest it anyway. When it has happened, I have simply waited. About half the time, the "please" is forthcoming immediately. With others, the request from the assistant is repeated and again I wait, and generally the light goes on. A couple of times I have had to mention that it is normal to say "please", but the response has been grudging.

On the last visit, I had bought an assortment of decorating items including some paintbrush cleaner in a large plastic container. All the items were returned to the trolley for wheeling to the car where I was going to transfer them into a box in the back. I hadn't noticed that the cap of the brush cleaner was loose. It tipped over as I wheeled the trolley through the vestibule, the cap came off and about half of the contents came out before I could grab it and right it.

I had to have quite a "discussion" with the customer service desk before they very reluctantly agreed to replace the product. They made no effort to offer me something to wipe my hands and no effort to clean up the mess, which in effect was a chemical spill in a public environment.

I avoid going there if I have time to go elsewhere.

Reply to
Andy Hall

"Mary Fisher" wrote | * another thing we asked for was an isolator (he had to be told it | was a gas tap) for an 8mm pipe. He went in the back and said he | could get one, it would take about a week. No offer to post it, we | were expected to drive 20 miles and back for it.

The shop probably has no mechanism for buying stamps. Everything down to the toilet rolls will be supplied by Head Office, and there are probably pre-addressed pre-paid envelopes for things that have to be sent to Head Office. Blessed be the name of Head Office.

Owain

Reply to
Owain