Speaking of screws!!!!!! And Lowes in general.

I was at Lows a few days ago looking for some screws I could use for framing. I have a tough time driving nails at different angles and like to always have 3-4 inch screws handy. I couldn't find them. I bought them there before but couldn't find them. An eager employee asked if I needed help and I told him what I wanted. We looked and looked. They had painted deck screws and other painted screws (very pricey). Then he said most people just use the drywall screws so they don't carry the normal screws anymore! Drywall screws? Those brittle black things? I told him they are not good for framing, that they aren't strong enough, but he just said that is all they carry because that is what sells. The only other screws anywhere near the size I wanted were in those little packs of 5 or 10 at some outrageous price.

Oh, and another Lows special... I happened to be looking at emergency lighting and looked at the 6 volt gel cell batteries. By dumb luck I looked at the expiration dates! Three out of 4 were expired. I asked if they will discount them for clearance and they got all huffy about it. Then one master brain manager took them into the office to read the voltage. When he came out he said that all they need is to be charged. (I'd guess that means they aren't even over 6 volts anymore). I asked him what kind of load did he put on them to test and he got all pissed off and mumbled something. So still (since last time I walked by and checked) they are trying to sell old expired batteries, for EMERGENCY lighting. That's great, when it comes to an emergency, they sell old batteries that are likely to fail.

Reply to
Tony

Lowes must be hiring ex-HD managers....

An industrial hardware store will have these screws by the 5-gal can, with a scale, and charge you by the pound. 'Wayyy cheaper than big-box ripoffs.

fyi, they make a 3/4 and 1 1/8 sheet rock screw, the 3/4 is very very handy. If your industrial place don't have them, beg a little, and they'll order a can, bound to sell out. Take a 10 year supply for yourself.

Reply to
Existential Angst

Lowes is typically the worst place to buy fasteners. Last I checked, they were selling stainless steel screws for 10 times the price of the local Ace store.

Reply to
mike

This appears to be normal for DIY stores. A construction materials supplier (if there is one where you live) will sell the quality supplies you want.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

Which is probably twice Fastenal...

--

Reply to
dpb

For the limited amount of framing I do, I use the 3 1/2" Deck-Mate screws with that combo Phillips/Square drive, and drive them with a Makita impact driver. I like the P/S drive since it retains the screw on the driver bit very well for single handed operation while holding the

2x in position.
Reply to
Pete C.

If you have either.

Me, I just save the gas and order from McMaster-Carr unless I *know* that Home Depot or the small local hardware store has what I need (sadly, I have better luck with the latter, despite it being in total about half the size of the HD plumbing department.)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

krw

Lowes appears to show everything on line for the particular store in your area. Just put in your zip code lowes.com. I hate to go to big box store for item they should have and not find it. Now I check first on line and if I cannot find at store, I'll order on line.

Reply to
Frank

I do the same. The deck screws work for just about any wood fastening job. And come in a bunch of lengths. I just keep an assortment of boxes on hand.

Most people are using nail guns for framing these days. Solves the challenge of toe nailing and other odd angles. I could never go back to using a hammer all the time.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

I think one of the points that needs to made is that Fastenal, Ace Hdwe, and the industrial hdwe store could all be broke by summer for all we know thanks to their loss of residual sales that now get lost at the Depot and Lowes. We just lost a local Ace store, and a True Value............... Neither of the big stores, nor Builders Square, or DIY back in the day can replace a decent hardware store. The whole mom and pop thing has been screwed for years, big gets bigger, small withers and dies........................

Lefty

Does anyone see the irony of screws that get in deeper?

Reply to
Lefty

My anecdote can beat up your anecdote!

Last year, I needed some 1/4-20 bolts to secure a handle on a merchandiser. Went and bought some at Home Depot. They wouldn't thread into the handle. I tried a tap, and chase out the internal threads. Still, no go. Went and got a couple bolts at Lowe's which worked fine.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Recent HGTV show with Mike Holmes showed the crew using exclusively framing screws and impact drivers. Personally, I mix and match. The screws are much better for pulling things together, but the nail gun is much faster and cheaper for less demanding areas. To my surprise, the Sears electric hammer has turned out to be rather handy tool in odd places.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

They carry those expired items, because they know half the people who shop Lowes can't read English.

Reply to
Pedro

Recent HGTV show with Mike Holmes showed the crew using exclusively framing screws and impact drivers. Personally, I mix and match. The screws are much better for pulling things together, but the nail gun is much faster and cheaper for less demanding areas. To my surprise, the Sears electric hammer has turned out to be rather handy tool in odd places.

Joe

Lowes SUCKS..It is more of a home decor place for women...Home Depot has them in a small box or a bucket...The local mom and pop Ace and Do It Best sells them the same way just a little more price wise...The loose bins and scales went out YEARS ago with the soda fountain at the drug store...LOL...A nail gun is the way to go..I bought a Husky twin tank compressor , framing nailer and finish nailer Kit online at Home Depot for 250 bucks about a year ago...Best investment I made ...LOVE them...

Reply to
benick

Uh, NO , at ACE here they dont. The local Ace has probably 200 "drawers" containing every size bolt, widget, washer, D ring, E ring, spring, cotter pin, bracket and so on available for sale: by ONE or more PLUS, most kinds of NAILS in bulk BY WEIGHT..YOU fill the bag or just buy TWO.

HD sells a small box of 1.25" finishing nails for $ 3.24 ACE sells them by the pound in BULK, you BAG, YOU WEIGH at $ 2.04 Lb.

Reply to
Rudy

"Rudy" wrote in news:yOlnn.20916$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe14.iad:

What gets my goat is how Lowes jacked up the price of things like lb boxes of screws & nails when the price of gas went through the roof. Shipping weight was to be blamed. Since, gas has gone below 2 bucks a gallon and back to 2.75 currently in my area. Common drywall screws are still pushing 6 bucks a pound box.

Reply to
Red Green

If you still need Magellan DataSend, email me. -----

- gpsman