OT Brake Lights

And the fog lights.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Don't you want some way of spotting morons at a distance?

Reply to
Huge

They're driving Rovers! :-)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Huge coughed up some electrons that declared:

I thought the universal sign for "Sir, you appear to have impaired judgement or vehicle operation" was fingers curled as if eating a banana with an up/down oscillatory motion?

Reply to
Tim S

And how do you signal a truck driver to pull over? I was once bombarded with rolls of carpet on the M6 when a curtain-sider had a wire rope break and allowed the side to flap open, fortunately I dodged them all! After phoning the police about the debris in the road, I chased the truck, but I was driving a kit-car with a low rear windscreen and lift-off (ie: non-opening at motorway speeds) sidescreens, so I couldn't give any hand signals. I tried flashing him from behind; flashing, then indicating left; pulling in front and flashing my hazard lights; slowing in front (he kept passing me again!) - basically anything I could think of. It was about 10 miles before I could get him to pull over and I could let him know that he might lose more at any moment!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Steve Walker gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Pull alongside and match speed. Hoot. When he looks over at you, you point backwards, then pull in front, put hazards on. It's worked for me before, with the truck driver giving a flash & thumbs up as he pulls over.

Reply to
Adrian

That was the problem, pointing backwards was impossible (Lotus 7 style kitcar with hood and sidescreens on and HGV) the height difference and roofline meant that there was no way that he could see my hands and with no opening windows, I couldn't get my hands outside to signal! I used the horn, the indicators, flashing my lighta, hazards, cutting across his nose (not too close), slowing in front of him (he just pulled out round me again and again.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Thinking what is that prat trying to do get under my wheels...

You didn't try winking your brake lights several times at him once in clear in front of him or have your brakes only got two settings: Off and on the verge of wheel lock?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

No. That is actually a signal that means "Keep away I am deranged and dangerous and have sex with my father and mother and any passing rotweillers who will do it for a doggy bix"

Reply to
Alang

I think people with failed brake lights are the ones who keep their foot on the pedal at all times while stationary. They annoy me by rolling back when the lights change, and burning my eyes when it's dark. I'm sure it will tend to make their brake system leak. The brake lights are much brighter than the rear lights so must have a much shorter life.

I always use the handbrake, and can't remember when I last had a brake light fail. One of my turn indicators went last week on my 7-year old car.

Dave W

Reply to
Dave W

LOL! Sorry, you're a day late...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Perhaps you should point them at an auto?

Right. Why would that be?

So you don't use your indicators much either?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I was once following a petrol tanker with clouds of smoke coming from around its rear axle. My choice (and this was before the days of mobile phones) was to pull off and ring the police. They chased him down the M55 and caught him before the M6, I heard.

It was precisely the 'how do you tell him' (plus not wishing to be anywhere near a petrol tanker on fire) that decided me.

Reply to
Rod

I doubt the police will do that for a petrol tanker with a brake light out though:-)

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

As I said, not too close - I was *not* trying to make him brake by cutting in; having tried everthing else, I passed him, sat in front of him for a couple of seconds and pulled across him onto the hard-shoulder, he passed me, I did it again and again, surely he could see I was suggesting that he pulled over. I'd already gone through flashing my brake lights, slowing gently in front of him with hazards on, turning them off and indicating left - I tried absolutely everything I could think of both from in front and behind, repeatedly. He just seemed unable to grasp that someone making every conceivable signal other than hands or maybe morse on the brake lights, might be trying to convey something important to him. If someone flashed me when I'd done nothing that should attract their attention, particularly more than once, I'd be stopping and checking my vehicle asap, as there may be something seriously wrong.

When he did finally stop, he got out, saw the curtain and said "Damn. I wondered what you wanted."

With him only being able to see the car and not able to see me at all, I can't see what else I could do to signal, other than leave the police to catch and stop him.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I'd already called the police (on my mobile), but wanted to try and stop him before other rolls fell out and maybe caused an accident.

We once had a 100 ton railway petrol tanker with an axle box on fire near here. The driver uncoupled it and moved the rest of the train away. You should have seen how many fire engines turned up - it was within 100 yards of the town centre!!!!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

That's another example of my "idiot"theory. If he's enough of an idiot to have an insecure load, he's enough of an idiot to not understand your signals.

Reply to
Matty F

I think you missed the point entirely, not unusual I hear.

Reply to
Mike

Reply to
Mike

Point what, where?

The brake system is not normally pressurised until the pedal is pressed to operate the brake cylinders. The seals in these are designed to withstand short periods, but after five minutes at a level crossing any slight leak might amount to a noticeable loss of fluid?

I'm convinced I use my indicators more than many other drivers on their mystery tours.

Dave W

Reply to
Dave W