OT Brake Lights

Ever had one of those days when it seems that almost every other car in front of you only has one brake light working? In most cases it seems the nearside one that has failed. (Why?) Every tried to signal to someone that they only have one working? Would they care?

I check my brake lights using the wing mirrors when I park up in the dark or by ckecking my CCTV when I park up at home

How do you signal someone to tell them they only have one brake light?
Adam
ARWadsworth wrote:

No idea. Where I work, though, we have local newsgroups which many people read, and warnings like "A 123 BCD, your nearside brake light is dead" come up reasonably often.
Pete
Pete Verdon wrote:

Ages ago I thought of setting up a domain, something like vehiclereg.org.uk, where you could join and get emails sent to snipped-for-privacy@vehiclereg.org.uk. Unfortunately I couldn't see how to make it free of spam, safe, something people would want to join and able produce a reasonable return for me.
But the idea of such a domain is still appealing for precisely that sort of information. At that time it seemed like I was forever following vehicles with one or two very flat tyres.
--
Rod

On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 19:23:50 +0100, Pete Verdon

Which begs the question why would a Lancer Boss Fork Lift Truck (vehicle registration A 123 BCD) have brake lights fitted and why is it driving on the road?

Because they are legal to drive on the road and may need to use the road to get between company sites and/or photo shoots?
On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 08:01:28 +0100, "dennis@home"

I think you missed the point entirely, not unusual I hear.

I think you missed the point. What was it you think I missed?

http://begthequestion.info /

It's all Greek to me (or was it Latin)

I have aften thought that there should be a recognised signal for this, but what could it possible be, without confusing other drivers or starting a road-rage incident ?
Andy Cap wrote:

And how about a way of telling some obliviot that his hazard lights are on whilst driving?
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

There's a signal for this, used by lorry drivers (*), but IME no private motorist knows what it means.
(* Open and close the fingers in a sort of snapping motion.)
--
"The study of theology... is the study of nothing; it is founded on nothing; it
rests on no principles; it proceeds by no authority; it has no data; it can

I thought the universal sign for "Sir, you appear to have impaired judgement or vehicle operation" was fingers curled as if eating a banana with an up/down oscillatory motion?

No. That is actually a signal that means "Keep away I am deranged and dangerous and have sex with my father and mother and any passing rotweillers who will do it for a doggy bix"
I think people with failed brake lights are the ones who keep their foot on the pedal at all times while stationary. They annoy me by rolling back when the lights change, and burning my eyes when it's dark. I'm sure it will tend to make their brake system leak. The brake lights are much brighter than the rear lights so must have a much shorter life.
I always use the handbrake, and can't remember when I last had a brake light fail. One of my turn indicators went last week on my 7-year old car.
Dave W

LOL! Sorry, you're a day late...
In article

Perhaps you should point them at an auto?

Right. Why would that be?

So you don't use your indicators much either?
--
*I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian.

Point what, where?

The brake system is not normally pressurised until the pedal is pressed to operate the brake cylinders. The seals in these are designed to withstand short periods, but after five minutes at a level crossing any slight leak might amount to a noticeable loss of fluid?

I'm convinced I use my indicators more than many other drivers on their mystery tours.
Dave W
In article

Whatever you have to hand, obviously.

I'd not like to be in your car. If it's designed to have seals which leak.

But expect identical bulbs to fail in short order?
--
*Money isnt everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch