OT - Bowel Cancer Test

I have recently been sent a kit for a bowel cancer test. The previous one was a bit unpleasant and required several days of samples to be spread onto a card.
The latest is so simple - one test only - a small sort of probe that is put into a bottle and sent off.
Please don't be deterred.
On 06/02/2020 11:07, John wrote:

Deterred is in the bottle, Shirley?
--
Cheers
Clive

Bizarre. I received one about five minutes ago!
On Thursday, 6 February 2020 11:07:51 UTC, John wrote:

Is it an anal probe like the aliens use ;-)

I don't think they bother when you get to my age.
--
Tim Lamb

I believe they no longer send out the home test to those over 70 automatically but will send one if you request it.
GH
writes

I am 72

I preceded you by 4
--
Tim Lamb

I had one last year. At well over 70.
--
*How do you tell when you run out of invisible ink? *

I think it's 75. They are notorious for false negatives.
--
bert

That sounds marvellous. The one for blind people was awful involving plastic bags sealable pots and lots of fiddling about in plastic gloves. The problem with the old one was that we could not see to smear it on the bits without touching them, but the huge pots we ended up with were ridiculous, one could not exactly put it into a pillar box, as it had to have bio hazard stickers and all sorts. Brian
--
----- --
I was told that if a family has a record of Bowelcancer they now often call in other members to look for the precancerous polyps. If they are found they remove them. Brian

I don't think they're allowed [1] to do that. All they can do is suggest that family members speak to one another. Like with glaucoma.
[1] Either that or the NHS doesn't have a record of family trees.
--
Max Demian

I had a false positive with the last one, and was sent a second one.
--
*IF YOU TRY TO FAIL, AND SUCCEED, WHICH HAVE YOU DONE?

Better than a false negative which is always a possibility when a human is involved. The next test would be two years down the line by which time it could be much more difficult to treat.
On Thursday, 6 February 2020 11:07:51 UTC, John wrote:

There are many reasons that might deter. One being a high probability of a very low risk growth. Is it better to know you have one and be concerned whether it really is low risk, or not know?
On 06/02/2020 19:33, polygonum_on_google wrote:

"Signs of cancer can appear long before diagnosis, study shows
"Research into genetic mutations suggests possibility of tests that would detect cancer earlier
"Early signs of cancer can appear years or even decades before diagnosis, according to the most comprehensive investigation to date of the genetic mutations that cause healthy cells to turn malignant. [...]"
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/feb/05/signs-of-cancer-can-appear-long-before-diagnosis-study-shows
What's the point in that? "Decades" of worry over a cancer that won't become malignant in your lifetime.
--
Max Demian

On Thursday, 6 February 2020 22:48:11 UTC, Max Demian wrote:

r-long-before-diagnosis-study-shows

My mother's death certificate cited cancer among other issues - but that ha d been there for at least a decade and, quite possibly, much longer.
When she saw an oncologist, he was extremely reluctant to consider any trea tment as the risks of treatement greatly exceeded any likely benefit. His o pinion was she would die long before it became a major issue. And she did. (Prime cause of death was not the cancer but other issues.)
Knowing allows treatement - if it is both appropriate and available. It als o allows for things like dietary modification, if that is seen to be helpfu l.
Knowing when there is unlikely to be any appropriate and available treatmen t, and there is nothing else tyo be done, has few benefits. Which is why I am still unsure whether or not to go for testing.

Home testing doesn't cost/risk anything. If they find something and want you in for colonoscopy etc. the choice is still yours. Get it done!
My mother hid her stomach issue for years although the bottle of Kaolin and Morph. might has warned us. By the time she was admitted, her bowel cancer had spread to her lungs and was deemed inoperable.

--
Tim Lamb

On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 11:00:04 +0000, Tim Lamb

+1

Same with my stepdaughter (39). The first obvious signs looked more like a hernia but was in fact her kidney, already much larger than it was supposed to be with (by then) other secondary cancer in her lungs (primary in her bowel).
1:3 chance chemotherapy would kill her and if it didn't what life she had left (that turned out to be less than a couple of months) would have been crap.
Sister resisted having a mammogram for a few years and when she did, they found something (still going though therapy).
Take / do all the tests you can.
Cheers, T i m