OT - Bowel Cancer Test

I had a false positive with the last one, and was sent a second one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They do here, at age 55.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I've not been offered one - and wouldn't expect to be, given the high cost.

Different if you come from a high risk group.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Over 55 is the high risk group. In fact there?s no sharp threshold at which the risk leaps up, you can get bowel cancer at almost any point in your life if you?re unlucky but it does rise with age.

Screening costs money though and false positives can cause a lot of anxiety and potential morbidity and mortality which is why we don?t all get screened and why different health boards have different strategies. I think most health boards are screening people in one way or another after the age of 60.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

The scope test is new, being rolled-out regionally for everyone as a one-off at 55, still will get the FOBt tests from 60.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Different probes, I hope.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Or at least top *then* bottom... ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Were there celebrations, like when the Channel Tunnel halves met?

Reply to
Clive Arthur

There are many reasons that might deter. One being a high probability of a very low risk growth. Is it better to know you have one and be concerned whether it really is low risk, or not know?

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Ah, that explains why I've not been offered either. Must have been 55 before they started the scope test roll out and I'm not 60. Something to look forward to in the next 6 months. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I don't think they're allowed [1] to do that. All they can do is suggest that family members speak to one another. Like with glaucoma.

[1] Either that or the NHS doesn't have a record of family trees.
Reply to
Max Demian

"Signs of cancer can appear long before diagnosis, study shows

"Research into genetic mutations suggests possibility of tests that would detect cancer earlier

"Early signs of cancer can appear years or even decades before diagnosis, according to the most comprehensive investigation to date of the genetic mutations that cause healthy cells to turn malignant. [...]"

What's the point in that? "Decades" of worry over a cancer that won't become malignant in your lifetime.

Reply to
Max Demian

I had suspected Prostate cancer a few years back so had the scope test, found some polyps that were removed and none cancerous had done another couple of times 5 years apart and all ok it is more embarressing and slightly uncomfortable but now too old to be checked. Then had pancreatitis 2 hospital stays and then they discovered a blocked bile duct, now sorted. I always dreaded the tube down the throat but they give you a spray at back of throat and you feel nothing, no pain no discomfort. Point being if it needs done you dont need to fear it.(like I did)

Reply to
ss

Interesting. I'm surprised it's cost effective. Does it mean if you're clear at 55 it is unlikely to occur later on?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

a>> one-off at 55, still will get the FOBt tests from 60.>> Interesting. I'm surprised it's cost effective. Does it mean if you're> clear at 55 it is unlikely to occur later on?

Without scope screening at 55, they say 5 out of 300 will get bowel cancer (of which 2 will die) within 10 years.

From the trials they did, with screening, only 3 will get cancer, and 1 will die. They need to wait to see how much benefit there is beyond 10 years.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Sounds about right.

I?ve done at least two, may be three, of the card type ones. The system seems quite efficient- the results turn up a few weeks later. I assume if they find something to worry about you are summoned for further tests.

The kits seem to come every few years having started.

Reply to
Brian Reay

What matters is what the results are with the much cheaper testing of the shit samples.

Reply to
jon lopgel

presumably the trial told them it was worthwhile compared to, say, starting the shit testing 5 years earlier?

Reply to
Andy Burns

It didn?t.

Reply to
jon lopgel

Automatically every two years from 60 until 74. Over 74 you have to ask every two years.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice