Gluing stone

I have a nice shaped limestone stone about a foot across. Trouble is a clumsy clot broke it in two. It's a rounded stone for going on top of a wall, and I'd like to use it again. Does anyone know if there's an adhesive available for this sort of thing?

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Epoxy will do it.

Or polyester resin (fibreglass)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Or "Gorilla".

Reply to
harry

What really? Outside? The only problem is that you may see the old crack since some loss of the surface is likely when it was broken. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

I have used polyurethane glue for similar things. It was later painted over (masonry paint on an outside wall) but had lasted a few years before that was done. Make sure it is not in any way wet, just the humidity in the air should be sufficient for it to set. If there is too much, it will foam and push the pieces apart. You want, as nearly as possible, no foaming.

Obviously, not for serious structural uses!

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Is that Urethane Bond by Dow Corning. I had a tube of that, would glue anything, but ever so slightly pliable afterwards. Cannot seem to get it now though. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Gorilla do a five minute epoxy that Gorilla state can cope with moderate amounts of water. So would be okay as a mid stone in the top of the wall, end stone (no mortar or other stones sheilding it ][from that side]) not so much.

Bound to be a fully waterproof epoxy out there.

Reply to
soup

My car's wing mirror has been held on with araldite for the last year. Is that not waterproof?

Reply to
GB

+1

You might want to add some alumina or similar light pigment to the epoxy to roughly match the colour of the stone or you will see the crack.

Not quite as strong (but it may not need to be).

I wouldn't recommend a PU space filling glue. They are intended to foam and whilst they do have excellent adhesion go yellow brown with time. It also has a tendency to push the pieces apart if they are not clamped.

Reply to
Martin Brown

most epoxy is mildly hygroscopic, so water weakens it, It is once fully water soaked, not really 'leaky' though

For a large join I'd use polyester, but that two pack epoxy 'plasticene' - 'Milliput' - is good for garden use..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ha! Mine too. Or at least the plastic cover. I replaced the first one, £40.00. On the second occasion I decided araldite is cheaper. Strangely, despite whinging about the visible glue lines, she has not broken this one:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Thats always te 2ay. about one year into my brand new defender a pheasant flew into the wing and put a big dent in above the headlight. "No wprries, its bound to get another bash and then I'll sort the lot out'

I sold it 5 years later without a scratch on it, and the dent still in it...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It was, probably, Polyurethane Wood Glue 750g 30 Minute By Everbuild. But could have been same sort of product from another company. Likely cheapest from Screwfix at the time.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Limestone with lots of bond surface area? Paint the faces with diluted PVA to seal them, then use PVA to glue.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

I got mine from Block and Quail, as it was at the start. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

The original Gorilla glue which is set by water is waterproof once set. I have used it for similar applications.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

My wife told me that because the crane was badly parked and blocking the road, it was *necessary* to hit the wing mirror on it. Perhaps someone can explain this to me some time?

Reply to
GB

Outside in the rain? stupid.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Use an umbrella then. But seriously, does that mean all my 25 year old Bath stone repairs I did when we moved in are going to fail?

Better move soon, thanks for the warning.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

yes

Reply to