Anyone got a laser engraver?

I could do with something that would mark text onto plastic. It would be light use. So wondering about a laser engraver. If anyone has one, which one and are you happy with it?

Reply to
R D S

might be worth finding a local hackspace or fablab. many have such things

Reply to
David Wade

DYMO?

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Are they really cheap enough now for light use?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You can get them for about 40 quid.

Reply to
R D S

That sounds this side of reasonable, but wouldn't it give off fumes etc?

Was going to suggest an electric engraver. Saw a portable one in use at a stall recently - with a steady hand and some skill, capable of quite decent results on metal.

Cheers, Rob

Reply to
RJH

Well, In case it is of any interest...

I bought one of these

It's pretty handy, only got a usable area of about 2 sq inch but for customising stuff, one offs I like it.

The below is just us messing....

R D S

As you don't say very much about what you want to do, I'll mention the Brother ScanCut SDX1200 which is no more than three metres away from me.

Can cut a wide range of things including leather, cork, plastic sheet, etc.

Might be miles away from what you need, but could be spot on. Do an image search and you'll be able to see hundreds of things it can do. Or a video search to see it doing some of those things.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google