OT best/easiest way to share files over local network under Ubuntu?

I have a desktop machine running Ubuntu with files I want to view& amend on a laptop also running Ubuntu (and Lubuntu).

I've shared the folder on the desktop, but can't access it on the laptop.

On my android phone I can both see the folder & access files so most of it works.

Any pointers to what the laptop's problem is/are gratefully received!

Reply to
JimK

Possibly lacking software?

Is this an NFS share or a Samba/SMB one?

The later, although IME it works well, is not strictly necessary in a Linux enviroment and some security hoops can trip ye.

Not to mention that Samba support commonly built into the file explorer (nautilus etc..) is a bit basic compared with doing it 'properly' with smb.conf files.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

for anyone in similar situation this sorted me in 5 mins (after hours of arsing about)

JimK