Aggregates for Concrete

I have been using ballast recently for none critical concrete to support so me edgings and noted that the coarse aggregate/gravel tended to be rounded and smooth. I am about to lay a more critical section over which a vehicle will pass, I have always understood that angular gravel is best because it tends to "lock" together. Which should I use? I have consulted the Paving E xpert but cannot seem to find an answer.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

some edgings and noted that the coarse aggregate/gravel tended to be rounde d and smooth. I am about to lay a more critical section over which a vehicl e will pass, I have always understood that angular gravel is best because i t tends to "lock" together. Which should I use? I have consulted the Paving Expert but cannot seem to find an answer.

The strength of concrete depends on the aggregate. More cement makes it stronger but only up to a point where the aggregate st rength runs out.

Pebble types of aggregate all originally came from glacier action and are r ecovered from the sea and from "gravel pits" They are always mixed stones and hence weaker because of weaker pebbles in the mix.

Angular aggregates are quarried and are uniform hence stronger because they are purposed for concrete..

So the strength of the concrete is not because of the shape of the aggregat e but in the strength of the aggregate.

If you look at broken concrete, the break line is always through the aggreg ate. The supplier should be able to tell you the mix that will give maximu m strength. Which depends on the strength of the aggregate. Putting more cement in that this serves no purpose.

Reply to
harry

An SUV, it is only a small section to connect the original concrete hard st anding to the new garage base. Flat at one end and tapering at a slight ang le at the other with a width of approx. 400mm. I will be mixing it my self, I think I calculated it at approx. 0.1m3.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

There is also the point that the preparation and thickness are crucial as concrete is strong in compression but weak in tension. Thus any voids that might happen over time under the concrete are going to enable cracks. Tree roots and draining water etc. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff