cheapest concrete

Probably different costs to here in Australia, but what would the cheapest stuff to use for concrete aggregate for non important garden shed floor? In grandfathers day they used to use some sort of ash (fly ash?)or was it crushed slag/

Not sure you can get that anymore.
You sure you want to mix it by hand instead of getting a minimix truck load ?
And in some ways you need a decent strength concrete for a shed floor so you get a decent long lived surface unless you want to put old carpet on it like some do.
Rod Speed wrote:

I have two cement mixers and plenty of time.
wrote

Sure, but its quite a bit of work even just for a shed floor.
Rod Speed wrote:

But probably cheaper than paving stones etc.
wrote

But a lot easier to get a minimix load and a lot better quality of concrete that wont spall or crumble in use.
Rod Speed wrote:

But more expensive, So it may be dirt or my way if you have no money.
wrote

Why have you ended up with no money ?
Rod Speed wrote:

I am not completely destitute I have full pension and a fixed deposit which returns almost no interest but wasting money on concrete and other things eats into it and sends me backwards. I try for neutral but am not succeeding any more.
wrote

Do you rent or own ? Presumably not rent if you are adding a shed.
On 11/11/2019 01:00, FMurtz wrote:

I bit the bullet and bought my ballast in 25kg bags.
It was all really the same cost as paving slabs, but at least I didnt have to move more than the bags of cement and ballast. And getting it level was easier
If you have access getting tonne bags of ballast delivered is probably near as good as it gets.

On Monday, 11 November 2019 10:42:41 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

and it stays level. Paving slabs don't always
On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 01:53:58 +1100, FMurtz wrote:

Most of the UK has sand and gravel quarries fairly close, so ballast (a mixture of sand and gravel) is as cheap as anything else.
Possibly false economy, but then again I think you have more coal fired power stations than we do.
Fly ash is very fine (not like an aggregate). I assume that you need the lumps for strength.
I remember it being packed down beside a concrete gully under a dual carriageway because it was very light and could be compacted to exert very little side pressure on the concrete.
Also at one time proposed for spreading on marine oil spills to clump up the oil.
As far as I know modern power stations grind the coal up very fine to make it burn more efficiently so you probably don't get slag any more.
Cheers
Dave R

Dave R wrote-
Most of the UK has sand and gravel quarries fairly close, so ballast (a? ? mixture of sand and gravel) is as cheap as anything else.
Possibly false economy, but then again I think you have more coal fired? ? power stations than we do.
Fly ash is very fine (not like an aggregate). I assume that you need the? ? lumps for strength.
I remember it being packed down beside a concrete gully under a dual  carriageway because it was very light and could be compacted to exert very   little side pressure on the concrete.
Also at one time proposed for spreading on marine oil spills to clump up? ? the oil.
As far as I know modern power stations grind the coal up very fine to make   it burn more efficiently so you probably don't get slag any more.
Cheers
Very few pulverized fuel (ground coal) fired stations now running in the UK due to being sacrificed on the altar of greentardery. Those that were best for concrete quality pulverized fuel ash or PFA (eggborough, Fiddlers Ferr y, West Burton, Ironbridge and Longannet) required at least 3 days under ba seload for the combustion to settle down and yield low carbon clean pale as h which could be used as a Pozzolan in the mix. Some of the ash particles i n the flame would clump together and fuse then fall to the bottom of the fu rnace. This was Furnce Bottom Ash or FBA colloquially known as Clinker. Use d in Breeze blocks and roads. Adding pozzolan to concrete had many technical advantages. Thousands of ton s were included in the Thames barrier and motorway bridges in the South Wes t where alkali silicate reaction in mixes using local aggregate caused fail ure (concrete cancer).
A local clay quarry has a housing estate built over it and it was filled by that black klinker slag stuff then concreted over. I note its starting to sink now after 50 years.. Oops. Brian
--
----- --
On Saturday, 9 November 2019 14:54:04 UTC, FMurtz wrote:

Plastic pallets are free here, and don't rot. As for cheapest agg, just ask your suppliers.
NT
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Used them for one shed but a nuisance if not filled with ballast.