OT: Best ADSL Modem/Wireless/Hub

Following on from the Best Broadband discussion...

Has anyone any recommendations for a ADSL modem/wireless/hub? Looking at reviews, they nearly all have some fault with them which means that the first thing you have to do is try and download new versions of firmware. (I guess that this is a sign of the times.)

I am looking for one that has a good range and doesn't require fiddling firmware (i.e. works out of the box).

Any suggestions?

Colin

Reply to
Colin

The Solwise range are good - I had a SAR715 until I had to move to NTL due to moving house.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 09:56:33 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "Colin" strung together this:

They all 'work out of the box', just not as well as they could. I would stick the latest firmware in it as the first job, pointless having a router if you're going to intentionally leave it full of bugs and holes.

Reply to
Lurch

Cisco 837.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Netgear DG834G does it for me. ADSL modem\Stateful Firewall\4 port 10/100 hub\54Mbps 802.11g/802.11b compatible.

Misco £93.98 Dabs £99.99 E-Buyer £93.95 Amazon £93.33 Simply £104.00

All inc VAT but plus P&P except Amazon which is FREE P&P

Funnily enough bought mine from Amazon

Thrilled to bits with it.

HTH

Dave

Reply to
Dave Gibson

Delighted with my Draytek 2600+ but it did cost. I changed because I needed the extra features.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Check out all the reports of problems on uk.telecom.broadband about netgear kit though

Reply to
Colin Wilson

"Lurch" wrote | "Colin" wrote | >I am looking for one that has a good range and doesn't require | >fiddling firmware (i.e. works out of the box). | They all 'work out of the box', just not as well as they could. I | would stick the latest firmware in it as the first job, pointless | having a router if you're going to intentionally leave it full | of bugs and holes.

But how do you know that the update is better than the original? The number of OS upgrades I've done and then wished I hadn't...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

They seem to be billed as implementing particular functionality or fixing a fundamental defect. I suspect that the developers don't have the time to test the stuff that the marketeers push out ;-)

(Despite the mixed reviews for the Netgear solution I think that I will try for that. It seems to be good 'value' at around £100 and if you shop around then you can find places that throw in a free pc card.)

Colin

Reply to
Colin