Planning Information

Hey people, I know this is probably a bit off topic but this is a group I follow quite a bit and I'm sure people here would be able to help me. We have just had an offer accepted on a house but are a little dubious about the purpose of a work-in-progress building next to the property. The vendor assures us that it is going to be a house but I would like to look into it and make sure. Can someone tell me who I need to talk to/where I need to go to find out?

Thanks in advance, Ric.

Reply to
Ric

Phone your local council and ask to speak to the planning department. They will be able to tell what permissions were given. You can visit in person to see the plans. My council publishes information on their website.

Local searches conducted by your solicitor should bring details to light.

Nick Brooks

Reply to
Nick Brooks

Verbal assurances from vendors are worth nothing and the normal search enquiries generally only relate to the property you are buying, not adjacent ones. You need to visit the local District Council planning department and ask to see the planning history for the adjacent site: this is open to public inspection so you are entitled to see it. You may just find that this info is also available online: the council's website will be at

Tony Bryer

Cheers for that - have looked on the Stockport council website but they only have applications from around august last year and I can't find it listed anywhere there - the planning permission must have been obtiained earlier then I assume. I will give them a ring later and see how I get on!

Reply to
Ric

I phoned them earlier and they said that an application was made in 2002 to turn the existing retail premises into a dwelling. The man said I would have to go in if I wanted know anything more but I suppose its a start! At least it won't be a massage parlour or anything!

Reply to
Ric