OT: need some advice on a personal heating system i.e. electric coat,

This is a bit OT I think, but since this is one of my most active groups with a wide variety of topics posted, I thought I would start here before trying to seek out more specific forums.

I work in a stationary environment (meaning very little movement all day for up to 12 hours) and at this time of year, the indoor temperatures range from 47-52 F. For the last three years, I have used zonal heating which consisted of a 1500 watt electric heater which has compensated the temperature somewhat, but to get it to a comfortable level (at least 70 F) meant running the heater too much and a higher electric bill. So, this year, I wanted to try something different.

I made an electric coat. I used wire designed for the purpose and sewed the wire into what I thought was a fleece hooded jacket I have here that was cheap. It showed promise and warmed me up, but I often started feeling clammy as if I were sweating. I would check under the coat for sweat and moisture and not find any, but it was still an issue. Then I looked at the "fleece" jacket tag to see 60% cotton and 40% poly and, after a little research, found out that the jacket is trapping and holding moisture, due to the high cotton content, when the heater wires are warm and this is why I'm uncomfortable. Thus, I don't see my homemade contraption working very well unless I change out coats for maybe something that is totally fleece (100% poly). However....

Some kind souls, knowing that I blew my budget on the electric coat because the wire and power supplies were costly, gifted me $300 for Christmas this year. So, I have another chance. Here are what I see as my options:

1) Buy a jacket that is totally fleece and use my remaining wire to make a new electric jacket. The issue here is that I will need another layer over the jacket to help hold in any heat generated which would mean an additional fleece jacket. Problem: Since this is an untested system, I don't know if this will work. Would I still end up feeling clammy after a while, or would the real fleece wick any any moisture?

2) Buy an actual electric jacket. I was looking at something like this one since it was rated #1 on a website out of many jackets tested:

(If the link doesn't work, it's called "ORORO Men's Soft Shell Heated Jacket with Detachable Hood and Battery Pack" on Amazon.)

100% poly, described as "breathable", good reviews.... but am I going to end up feeling clammy as with my system, or is the jacket design going to prevent this?

3) My final thought is an un-powered layering system like hunters and hikers use. The recommendations appear to be a polyester or "meurio wool" base layer shirt and pants, then followed by two additional layers. This is my most risky option and the most expensive one really. Risky because I've never dressed this way in my life and am therefore unsure even after purchasing all the layers required whether or not it would work over a 12 hour+ period of sitting stationary. And there are so many options to choose from as far as each layer is concerned that it is almost overwhelming.

As I said, with the $300, I have one other chance to get this right, otherwise I would have to wait until next year.

Your thoughts and suggestions on the above would be welcome including any links to specific Usenet or other forums that may be helpful.

Thank you!

Reply to
Witherspoon

On Thu, 10 Dec 2020 14:40:45 -0500, Witherspoon posted for all of us to digest...

I haven't read all the replies yet so this might be mentioned. I got a heated floor mat off Amazon. Draws little power but works well. In fact I am using it now. The only downside is the chair pushes it away. YMMV

Reply to
Tekkie©