OT: bad language (swearing) in this forum

A very small number of regulars seem to enjoy using what would typically be called profanities or "bad language" in the words of wisdom (or otherwise) that they donate to this forum. Swearing doesn't add anything to the discussion, casts doubt on the author's linguistic capabilities and either causes offence to others or makes them think less of the author and the info that they've bothered to provide. C'mon chaps, honorary chaps and other sentient beings: try cleaning-up your forum appends and using "growed-up" language.

This topic is probably going to be the cue for jokes along the lines of "I only swear when it slips out" or for a barrage of immature abuse, but it had to be said.

Reply to
nospam

It's Tourette's Syndrome :-)

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

If Stephen Fry doesn't think it shows lower linguistic capabilities then that's good enough for me.

Reply to
Lee

Gareth.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

En el artículo , snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com escribió:

Hello, Gareth Alun Evans. Please feel free to go f*ck yourself.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

If Stephen Fry thinks anything, I disagree with it on principal.

Reply to
Chris Green

The actual words used are irrelevant imho. The casual racism and sexism of some posters is deeply offensive to me because it implies that I will share the joke. I don't even want to share a joke with some of the right wing bigots here.

TW

Reply to
TimW

Well you are on safe ground, because the evidence is that he doesnt.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh dear. Wipe your botty with soft tissue

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Would you give me an example of this racism. Is expecting the same conditions to apply when coming to this country, as you would expect to fulfil when going elsewhere, racist. i.e. having a required skill, a job to go to and adequate means to support yourself and your family. Oh and with a clean history. What is the problem, people have with this?

Reply to
Andy Cap

with pleasure. Today, Julian Barnes: "... we dismantle our borders and let in any and all raping, murdering riff-raff..."

Is expecting the same

Do I think that immigration control is per se racist? Is that what you are asking? The answer is no, I don't think anyone thinks that.

TW

Reply to
TimW

I never swear on USENET, check out my posting history, but by the FUCK I want to after this.

Reply to
Graham.

What, think? Of course he doesn't, he's a luvvie.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Well there's clearly nothing racist about that because it in no way specifies a race. If you watch how Australia will reject almost anyone with even a minor criminal conviction, there is just no way some of those from Eastern Europe for example, who have appalling backgrounds and yet appear to walk in with impunity. We don't even throw them out when their history comes to light. IF we had proper border controls, with adequate background checks, most of this near hysteria would stop but people are heartedly sick of this country's hospitality being abused.

I believe that's all the vast majority of people want.

Reply to
Andy Cap

On an item about lead in pencils (the paint) he stated that lead has now been removed from all household products, which was odd, because I had just ordered an SLA battery for a kids's toy.

Reply to
Graham.

Grow up, kid, live in the /real/ world.

+1

I am "middle of the road" and I don't even want to share a joke with some of the left-wing & commie bigots here.

Reply to
Martin Barclay

Is riff-raff some place I never heard of? Or are you jumping to conclusions? Are you one of these people that thinks Islam is a race?

Reply to
harry

Its not the swearing I object to so much as the amount of general obnoxiousness, and name calling that seems to have ramped up recently.

This group was at one time a place one could have a decent (and pleasant) conversation, but things have degenerated since a handful of posters decided this is the place to have their political soap box. Do us all a favour chaps, tone it down a bit!

Reply to
John Rumm

I find some language used on this newsgroup offensive as well but tolerate it because I appreciate the words of wisdom often included.

I suggest ( snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com? Who are you anyway and why hide behind that stupid email address) you also apply tolerance if you wish to continue frequenting this newsgroup.

Mike My real name.

Reply to
Muddymike

Now that I do agree with 100% I contribute less simply because I'm fed up with ploughing through all the political and Brexit posts. What exactly do any of them have to do with DIY?

If I wanted to partake in a political l debate I would join a political newsgroup.

Perhaps those of us truly interested in DIY should start a new group and immediately revoke membership of anyone posting on politics.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike