OT: Aussie fires - ATTN Rod Speed

AFAIK, Australia ain't a third world country. So why have I just been asked to sign a petition to the UK government to give them foreign aid? Can't the Aussie government sort it?

True.

Because fools abound.

Corse we can. The federal govt has committed $2b to doing that.
And that's quite apart from the insurance claims.

Agreed.

Wanna buy some of our water? It's bloody soggy here.

Can you actually get insurance for that? Since everyone will claim at once, couldn't that make the insurance company bust?
wrote

No thanks, we are surrounded by it and most of the state capitals have desal; plants now. Canberra doesn't, but it isnt on the coast.

It is indeed.

Corse you can.

The whole country doesn't. I wont be claiming and no one within hundreds of miles of here will be either, And we are only talking about a couple of thousand houses lost at most.

Nope, a couple of thousand houses is a tiny subset of the insured houses.
On Wednesday, 8 January 2020 20:32:53 UTC, Commander Kinsey wrote:

Or some of ours but I believe scottish water is colder and soggier than our southern water, so we might give you a discount something the tight scots won't do ;-)

But we have 50 times more of it. And didn't you know when you take a cold thing to a warm country (like Australia) that it warms up?
On Thursday, 9 January 2020 15:43:53 UTC, Commander Kinsey wrote:

Yes that is the point it takes heat away from a hot thing like grasses or trees so they are less likely to ignite. But it can;t be tool cold or it goes solid in the fire hoses.

Why would they want a discount on water that's not cold enough to extinguish effectively?

Add salt. -21C is possible.
On Saturday, 11 January 2020 01:40:45 UTC, Commander Kinsey wrote:

Same reason people buy cheap anything, they hope it'll be as good or just don't care. Why glod plate if you can have solid gold. ?

But only extremely salted water, where will you buy all the salt.
Also it wont be particually good for the future growth of more trees. You'll have to ask wodney to confim this but I'm pretty sure Australia is surrounded by salt water, which I assume the australian firefights know about.

The ocean is full of it. They have desalination plants, presumably they can get the salt as a byproduct from there.

Which reduces the future risk of fire! Double whammy!

Only pretty sure? Mind you, I saw the contestants on "I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here" thinking Australia (where the program was set!) was in Alaska....

But it's not cold salt water.
On Monday, 13 January 2020 20:47:53 UTC, Commander Kinsey wrote:

and what would be the point of that, why not just use sea water to put out the fires.
The reason is the corrosive properties of salt water will damage the fire engines, adding extra salt won't improve things.

then why not cut down every forest and tree around the world that could catch fire.
Why not just concrete over every forest in Australia.

There's not much a celeb can say that doesn't suprise me, they aren't there for their inteligence, seems to be well suited to the viewers they get though.

you don't need cold water to put out fires otherwise fire engines would use some sort of refridgeration system to cool the water but they don't.
There doesn't seem any country that drops ice on fires either. I'm assuming there is a good reason for that.

Then use better tanks. It surprises me how stupid engineers are, constantly using materials that rust. Car radiators made of steel, what the fuck?

Or just gaps wide enough to stop fire spreading too much, or too near houses. but oh no, that would upset the environMENTALists.

Because they're usually hot.

It would certainly work better. Water cools the fire aswell as depriving it of oxygen. But presumably the refridgeration units are uneconomical, better to use that space for more volume of water. Mind you, they could have them in the fire station, and cool it while the fire engines are idle.

wrote

Problem is that that's miles when its 48C and the wind is over 50 kmph. Canberra had tens of miles naturally and lots of houses burned anyway.,

Nothing to do with them.

No it doesn't.

Even sillier and more pig ignorant than you usually manage.
When the fire is well over a thousand degrees, a few tens of degrees in the water temp isnt gong to make any difference.

Totally impractical actually. Takes much too long to cool the water pointlessly.

Yep.

Bushfires don't use fire engines from fire stations.
Water bombers in spades.

We can blame them anyway.

Good point.

Good point.

My god you agreed with something I wrote!

You're gonna need more spades. Got it put out yet?
wrote

There is no it. There are more than a hundred separate bushfires and spades arent used, they burn themselves out.
On Tuesday, 14 January 2020 22:50:28 UTC, Commander Kinsey wrote:

Why add salt, one reason for not adding it a it'll kill soil bacteria and end up contaminating the area.

Maybe it;s down to cost. Humans have kids that die, why bother.

The heat capacity of steel is better, but it;s down to cost too. Aluminium is used a lot too. Steel is also easier to colour.
Threr are reason for using steel otherwise they wouldn't use it. I'm not sure they'd be much of a market for gold radaitors other than perhaps D. Trump would buy them.

you said that the wind can take the heat and embers for miles, so little point making these fire gaps a couple of feet.

Shows you how sad the viewers are doesn't it.

Not really it cools what is burning not the fire, and hence the 'fuel' is less likely to ignite. it's also why cars don't start so well in the cold.

Or they could carry a trailer full of ice cubes. Drop ice cubes from the air too, but they dont do they.