Idigbo

Butt plug ? ;-)

Reply to
Jimk

I have a bit of left over Idigbo, 9" x 12" x 1.25". Nothing huge... was wondering what I could make from it. I don't want a stack of pens :) Any suggestions?

For anyone not familiar it's a brown African hardwood of low density, fairly good strength & not much figure. I gather it's best kept dry.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

A musical instrument? Do you know the sort of thing I mean? Often has a hollowed out body and an animal-skin sounding "board" held by pins all round. Maybe sacrifice some of the width to make the pole-type neck and pegs.

I had one of those turn up at my workshop from a museum wanting a replacement for a broken peg. I didn't have any Idigbo so I used Sapele and delicately stained it to match. I shuffled the pegs around (they had been in the wrong holes anyway) and I was delighted to find the owner couldn't tell which was the replacement.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

In message snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

I thought I had some bits of that although mine is distinctly pink. Lots of cross grain shakes:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

My son wanted to make a boot puller. Would this be suitable? He had me pulling them off for him, instead. :(

Reply to
GB

Not been taken by any of the suggestions yet, and not really sure what search terms to use to keep makeable things to small slabs of wood.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Treen maybe?

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

What's the Mekon got to do with it?

Reply to
Max Demian

Good question.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Mekon ruled em

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In a Golden Age?

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

I image searched treen, and nothing fancied my tickle so it probably won't get used. Thanks everyone!

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Your son's boot remover seems the most useful:-) Tad short but OK for small feet.

Entire family home today. Walkies? So out come the Wellington boots from the hall cupboard and off they all go.... 1 hour later I have a pile of muddy discarded boots in the porch:-( Very tempting to store them in a barn!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Ah yes, those moments where it's tempting to store family in a barn.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr