Toilet leak

Last time I had to deal with a toilet that had developed a leak between the pan and the soil pipe I used some open-mesh fabric about 2" wide which had been impregnated with a goopy, non-drying substance
which wrapped around the joint area and sealed it up beautifully. That was years and years ago and I can't remember what it was.
I've now discovered a similar small leak in my toilet at home and I've searched on-line for the goopy stuff and have drawn a blank.
a)Does anybody know what I'm talking about and if it is still available?
b)Is there a better way of doing a quick fix?
I'm planning to re-do the bathroom in about a year or so and don't want to remove the toilet pan and replace the parts properly just to pull it all out again later if I don't have to.
Thanks,
Nick
On 08/01/2020 21:05, Nick Odell wrote:

Denso tape?
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

I disforget it as Silglas(s)
Avpx
--
"They said we should mount guards and they'd take steps." "To the nearest
place of safety, no doubt."
On 08/01/2020 22:03, The Nomad wrote:

SYLGLAS IIRC

--
"The most difficult subjects can be explained to the most slow witted
man if he has not formed any idea of them already; but the simplest
On 08/01/2020 21:05, Nick Odell wrote:

It'll only take an hour or so to do it properly (unless the pan has been set on wet mortar) so why not just pop the loo out, clean the spigot and replace the pan connector?
On Thu, 9 Jan 2020 11:40:07 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@aolbin.com wrote:

Because of the paragraph written above and because of the unwritten paragraph about the plumbing complications that would make this a much bigger job than otherwise necessary if I had to do it in isolation.
Thanks to all who wrote in: yes, that's the stuff I had in mind. Cheers!
Nick