Toilet leak

Last time I had to deal with a toilet that had developed a leak between the pan and the soil pipe I used some open-mesh fabric about

2" wide which had been impregnated with a goopy, non-drying substance which wrapped around the joint area and sealed it up beautifully. That was years and years ago and I can't remember what it was.

I've now discovered a similar small leak in my toilet at home and I've searched on-line for the goopy stuff and have drawn a blank.

a)Does anybody know what I'm talking about and if it is still available?

b)Is there a better way of doing a quick fix?

I'm planning to re-do the bathroom in about a year or so and don't want to remove the toilet pan and replace the parts properly just to pull it all out again later if I don't have to.

Thanks,

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Denso tape?

Reply to
alan_m

I disforget it as Silglas(s)

Avpx

Reply to
The Nomad

SYLGLAS IIRC

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes that is awful stuff, and watch out for old stock which is pointless. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

It'll only take an hour or so to do it properly (unless the pan has been set on wet mortar) so why not just pop the loo out, clean the spigot and replace the pan connector?

Reply to
nothanks

Because of the paragraph written above and because of the unwritten paragraph about the plumbing complications that would make this a much bigger job than otherwise necessary if I had to do it in isolation.

Thanks to all who wrote in: yes, that's the stuff I had in mind. Cheers!

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell