Rod Speed

Anyone seen sight or sound of him? According to another group I'm on that he infests, he hasn't posted since January.

According to Reddit, he may be quite old;

Hopefully he's popped his clogs.

Reply to
Huge

^^^^ last

Reply to
Andy Burns

Even better, then! *Much* more oxygen for me.

He's been killfiled here for so long, I hadn't noticed his absence.

Reply to
Huge

Me too - only saw anything of him if someone quoted him. I very rarely killfile anyone. However, his posts were wrong far more often than would be the case if he was clueless, so it had to be deliberate trolling and attention seeking. That's a waste of space and very damaging to the community - good contributors get fed up and leave. If he is looking down from on high, he would be very proud he spawned a new thread after his departure.

Did wonder if he was Roger Burns-Curtis in a new disguise for a while, but I didn't know at the time that he had form right back into the '80's.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

A Google Groups search shows that _a_ Rod Speed popped up on March 3rd on alt.bible

but whether the same, who knows?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Having subscribed to alt.bible purely in the interests of research it appears the Rod Speed posting on there is still using Microsoft Windows Live Mail 14.0.8117.416 as his Newsreader as he uses everywhere else.

However if his interest in alt.bible was maybe the result of his fearing the end is nigh, it seems the effect didn't last very long

His two contributions being - "You're wrong, as always." and "You don't qualify, f****it."

One long time regular contributor to numerous uk. groups who doesn't seem to have posted for a while however is Mike Tomlinson.

michael adams

michael adams

I suspect that he descends on a newsgroup, makes himself thoroughly objectionable for a few years, and then when the majority have kill-filed him and he can no longer get an audience, he moves on to another more-gullible group.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I didn't like to say...

Reply to
Chris Hogg

He is one of my Facebook friends and his little green "online" lamp on my friends sidebar is lit now and again. I will DM him now.

Reply to
swldxer1958

Good Grief!!!!!!!!!!!!! You actually chat to this Australian pillock/troll. He must ride a child's toy.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

He was last active only yesterday, but his last post was six months ago.

Reply to
swldxer1958

Yes, and not replying to emails.

Reply to
ARW

Whatever you do, don't say we miss him!!

Reply to
Fredxx

In message , ARW writes

I see there is a Rod Speed post in my bin.

As the years go by, I have occasionally wondered about some *auto* mechanism for notifying a contributors death.

Apart from adding instructions to a will or asking ones partner nothing has come to mind.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

You could call it a Killed File.

GH

Reply to
Marland

Yes. Thing is, if you are no longer here and no family member has a clue about Usenet, how is it triggered other than by a significant lack of posts.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

On which group? he has made posts during the last week on some groups.

Reply to
FMurtz

Watchdog timer. There may be a business opportunity there for a web site which you have to click on at regular intervals, else it emails a predefined list of people.

Reply to
Huge

It's not just Usenet.

A friend of mine passed away last year. I only found about this just after the funeral. We had no friends in common to pass the message onto.

I suppose I should read the local papers deaths notices.

Reply to
ARW

Hmm.. I used to criticise my mother. Now I do it myself:-(

The alternative is Sunday church service where they are said to read out a list.

Reply to
Tim Lamb