OT Apprentice wages

Yes, there's definitely a market for luxury stuff. Trouble is there is a bit too much of it, so 'ordinary' folk find that's all that's left.

Yes, I always say to applicants: "Do you want ensuite, or would you prefer £20-ish extra in your pocket every week?" Bearing in mind that when they move off campus they are very likely to be sharing "facilities" anyway...

Reply to
Bob Eager

I blame Jamie Oliver.

Reply to
Huge

The three children of a friend who went to Warwick, Sheffield & UKC. One of them declined a place at UKC because of the accommodation.

Reply to
Huge

On Friday 05 July 2013 22:02 Huge wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Fair enough - but I cannot believe everyone takes the same view. unless the fact they all end up with x0,000's dept means a little extra look slike a drop in the ocean?

Reply to
Tim Watts

It was in my first year (1980~81). Indeed I remember sending a cheque home for £40 (students keeping the parents[well mum anyway, nearly broke her heart to ask her youngest for help] going eh) and I was a great believer in 'I was there to study' so didn't drink much, didn't "party" much, didn't have a part time job (well the first year anyway).

Reply to
soup

In message , Arfa Daily writes

Reply to
bert

Yes.

Even if such things never happened and they have been told repeatedly by reputable third parties that such things never happened, mothers' memories are infallible.

I know bubble-wrap's cheaper than therapy, but I'm up to about 150 metres a day ;-)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Which time, ante-natal or post-natal?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

In message , Arfa Daily writes

Reply to
bert

Thought I would contribute to this since I am classed as an apprentice, I get national minimum wage, not the apprentice wage. It goes up if you're doing well at college and at work. As times goes on you're trusted with more things, mistakes are allowed as long as you don't keep making the same ones. I guess it differs from company to company.

I have only been doing it for 10 months but I am really enjoying it, there is valuable experience to be gained and a lot to learn and its a bonus having more money than practically all of my old class mates.

Ps. I couldn't find the original message on my Thunderbird.

Reply to
gremlin_95

In message , Arfa Daily writes

AOL:-)

Me too. The company had a large intake of apprentices each year. Some said *cheap labour* but I think they needed to create their own skilled labour source. The apprentice association was very active with regular live music events and rugby football teams playing other local groups. (regularly thrashed by Hawker Siddeley Aviation)!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

That used to be the case.

Some of the more recent graduates I've seen I'd rate as distinctly below O-Level in literacy and numeracy.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

It's a while since you made a post. How are you keeping mate?

Apprentices at our place get 3.00 per hour for their first year. Second year apprentices are paid according to their ability. Of course when they reach 19 they are paid at least the national minimum wage (some are paid more than that before they reach 19).

I have had the new starter with me this week. It is not often I am placed with them. He is quite bright, and for the first time in a long time I have not minded having a new starter with me for more than one day.

Reply to
ARW

I think this company likes taking on young people; many of the young people stay on after completing their 4 years and some older people in the company done the very same training years ago.

Reply to
gremlin_95

In message , Arfa Daily writes

Sadly not a new phenomena. Back in the mid 70s we had a geography teacher was next to useless. We never found out if she could teach because the poor lass was incapable of keeping the class under control long enough to put anything across. I suspect it was her first job.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

"... and one which you feel you *did* well in."

"... some older people in the company *did* the very same training years ago."

What was that about making the same mistake twice? B-)

I get lost just over half way down the page but I got all the test questions at the end correct. Some of the other "forums" explaining the usage are rather odd and the posts contain other grammatical errors. Which if I can spot are pretty basic, really inspires confidence...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In article , Adrian scribeth thus

SWMBO is a teacher and we once had a party for the children some years ago. The children there were rather unruly until she got there a bit late. I don't know quite how she did it but in a -very- short space of time they were perfectly still and most remarkably -Quiet- as church mice..

Its a skill I suppose.. She said that if you show them the slightest weakness you've lost it, control that is, and when that happens you cannot teach properly...

Reply to
tony sayer

Thank for that, the 'did' or 'done' thing has always confused me, I do not remember learning about it in school!

Reply to
gremlin_95