This week's DIY

First job mow the area where a swimming pool will be installed ... someday. Done with the tractor so that didn't take long.

Then mow the lawn. That was made "interesting" when the blade broke with a bang and punctured the mower deck. If it had flown in the other direction it would have taken a large chunk out of my leg. As it was it punched a large hole through steel. That was a cheap mower (Stiller) and rather than buy a new blade decided to buy a better mower. I wanted an Al-Ko but they were sold out so I bought a German (Sterwins) mower that is much better made. It has an odd connection point for a hose pipe. I haven't worked out why it's shown on the box, not mentioned in the instructions.

Dug out 20 metres of water pipe in an attempt to find out why no water in the barn. Had two days of thunder and rainstorm while doing so. Eventually found that the external side of the main stop tap was blocked. Flushed it by attaching a pump-up sprayer to the inside and back flushing with clean water. Flushed out shreds of paper, straw and a decomposed body - possibly a shrew or a lizard. Difficult to tell. Must have crawled up the pipe when the builders left it open for weeks on end then been flushed up to the valve.

Got out the SDS and drilled a hole for the new cooker hood. Found the electrician had run the conduit diagonally through the area where I was drilling. Had to re-route t'electric.

Now re-mounted back boxes and installed the ducts.

Next job - dig hole for 5000 litre rainwater tank and install rainwater drainage.

Reply to
Steve Firth

They had those in lidl a few weeks ago, on the poster hung above the mowers it showed the hose connection was to be used after you've finished mowing, where you'd normally tip the mower over and scrape the accumulated grass gunge off the deck, instead you just connect a hosepipe, turn the water on, and it swills the deck out,

Reply to
Gazz

On Tuesday 02 July 2013 13:16 Steve Firth wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Feeeck..

Eeeww...

Sounds like an interesting time, in the arab sense of "interesting"...

Reply to
Tim Watts

A Sears/B&S rotary mower my parents bought back from the US in the

1960's (and I used for 30 years after that) had the hose pipe cleaning connection too.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Rather than the Confucian?

Reply to
stuart noble

Rear of the deck is usually stregthened so that it doesn't exit there.

Reply to
Road_Hog

This is an ultra cheap lawn mower. There's just a thin plastic flap between leg and whirly thing.

Is there a market for barely used Chinese copies of B&S engines? BTW if anyone asks if you can make a decent petrol mower for £83 the answer is "no".

Reply to
Steve Firth

It certainly is.

Too hot to dig so leaving that till later. Instead I'm plumbing in a gas hob. That was going well until I realised that the tube is not 15mm as I thought. It is 17mm so I had to drive to the plumbers merchant to buy some fittings. That's about an hour's drive away.

Apparently if I behave myself SWMBO will let me fit architrave to the doors. But first I have to make it from rough sawn timber.

Where the f*ck did I put that plane?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Can anyone recommend some decent ear defenders?

The sound of self-blown trumpets is overwhelming.

Probably a bit too late in my case.

Why would you dig up 20 m of pipe? Why not disconnect it at the valve and back-flush it witha hose? At worst, you'd have to dig up the valve. Or take the head off the (globe?) valve and flush that out. The thing that is least likely to block is the pipe.

You called me a coward on the other thread, although you don't know me. Have you grown a pair of bollocks yet that would enable you to apologise?

Don't worry Firth, I don't intend to make a habit of this. Mostly beacuse you're a boring git, but I'll happily leave the internet stalking to the likes of you. That story was bullshit. This one is boring.

Reply to
Onetap

Have you miss-posted this from some dreary "blog" or something?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

And that actually works does it?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yep, stick it on ebay or your local paper. Someone will buy it to re-engine a deck.

Reply to
Road_Hog

Although I think the constant battle of words between you two is very childish, I have to agree that this thread from Steve Firth is just for showing-off, not contributing anything of use to others.

By the way, I guess "nym" is just his shortening for "pseudonym" - another example of showing off his quirky use of language.

Thank you and goodnight - I will not be answering any responses.

Reply to
Dave W

Perhaps before you open your big fat trap and spout garbage, you could consider thinking first? "Nym" has been standard usenet terminology for some time.

That's OK, you've joined the elite group of those killfiled on first post.

Reply to
Huge

Now really girls palease!

(Psst I count 30 odd posts)

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Good heavens yes, dip me in dog shit and call me Penelope. How dare I make a post that was on-topic and had DIY content? That's not what this group is for, it's for tossers like you and AllCrap to pick on people who jiggle your inferiority complex button.

"Nym" has been standard usenet usage for the use of a fake ID for as long as I have been using Usenet.

Good. You can f*ck right off if all you have to contribute is pompous self-righteous guff.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Thanks I'll give it a go. I'll have to get it back to the UK first. Sadly Ryanair won't transport engines.

Reply to
Steve Firth

My MTD/laywnflyte has one of those as well... I even tried it once!

Reply to
John Rumm

AOL!

A little rough and tumble does no harm and is sometimes amusing. Also, who amongst us has not posted something intended to *upgrade* a position as well as inform?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Fear not, it's not constant. I just pointed out the implausibility of his story on another thread. A whale and a bowl of petunias fell to earth. He unleashed a torrent.

He called me a coward. I was in the airborne forces and left due to injury.I don't have to tolerate that from the no-mark, never-served-anything-but-his-bank-account toss-pot.

So I have, like you, questioned why he'd post this pile of flatulent self-admiration.

I think Firth believes he has established his ownership of the group. I don't know/care.

Ta. I guessed it was to do with anonymous, but couldn't be arsed to Google it.

Reply to
Onetap