OT Apprentice wages

We have first year formal contact hours of about 14 per week. However, staff are available for individual consultation (well, most are!) and we also communicate on Facebook, by email, etc. We mostly operate open door policies during working hours and quite a few (including me) will respond even in the early hours.

The department (as you probably know) sees only a proportion of the fees

- the rest is withheld centrally. We have to pay staff and buy equipment, pay rent (!) etc. out of what we get.

Reply to
Bob Eager

In article , Tim Watts scribeth thus

Noooo! You must have a useless course like that else you'd never be appointed to the BBC management or the Ministry of Defence etc!...

ISTR that the BBC have now realised that the older engineers who made things work and happen are now all retiring or coming to their career end and they aren't being replaced. So the BBC are offering to pay your Uni fees provided you go and work for them for a while!...

Reply to
tony sayer

On Thursday 04 July 2013 09:22 Bob Eager wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Ah - Thank you. For the first time I think I understand.

For comparison, for interest, in 1986 at York:

Fees were 100% covered for me.

Grant was £2100/year. Room in halls was £21/week (30 weeks/year) Dining was typically £1 per proper meal in college. Self catering was available and you could mix as you wished.

Guinness was about 80p/pint

So bringing that upto date using the BoE inflation calc:

1986 grant in 2012 terms = £5211 1986 room per week = £52 Dining / cooked meal = £2.50 Guinness = £2

So, back in the real world:

The grant/loan has matched inflation. York Uni cheapest room is £90/week[1] York Uni dining is £4.47 for breakfast plus dinner each day [2]

So it seems clear to me that whilst the grant was just about livable on in

1986 oop t'north, real world cost of living have doubled compared to official inflation (lying toads) so modern students are unlikely to be able to have a basic but confortable existance on the loan alone, even somewhere cheap.

Granted - York was cheap in the 1980's and the whole economy up there has taken a jump upwards in costs.

[1]
[2]
Tim Watts

On Thursday 04 July 2013 09:25 Bob Eager wrote in uk.d-i-y:

:)

Indeed. My dept is research heavy - we take a *lot* of funding via grants for specific project work.

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Thursday 04 July 2013 09:54 tony sayer wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Ah - the sponsorship programme. Good to see they have woken up at last.

Reply to
Tim Watts

This used to be fairly common in the engineering industry when I went to Uni in the mid '70s. Many engineering companies would "sponsor" (ie pay salaries and fees for) undergraduates with the proviso that they went to work for the company during the long summer recesses and following graduation. About 25% of my course were on one of these schemes. I think its long since dead and the best you can get is a bit of a bursary these days.

Reply to
news

On Thursday 04 July 2013 10:52 news wrote in uk.d-i-y:

That's because we've lost the mighty companies that did this as a matter of course:

British Rail GEC (et al) PO/BT

IBM might still do it (not sure) and the likes of Google and Microsoft are still very much up for taking people as part of a CompSci sandwich course - not sure about sponsorship though.

Not sure what state BT are in, or whether Network Rail might still be a possibility.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I had a conversation with my dentist on that subject a couple of years ago. He was encouraging his daughter to look at US universities as an alternative to oxbridge etc. His reasoning seemed to be: he was going to be paying (a lot) for it, so it may as well be the best.

Reply to
djc

Not that theres a lot between them at the top, some variance for subject but otherwise;!..

Reply to
tony sayer

They don't get paid they pay around £7,000 to £9,000 a year for 3 years .

Reply to
whisky-dave

On Thursday 04 July 2013 13:28 djc wrote in uk.d-i-y:

If she was doing dentristry (I know that is not logically implied), I'd hope that she'd go to South Africa - based on personal experience that the best dentists hail from there (2 SA dentists vs several english, one ozzie (though he was OK) and a swede.)

Reply to
Tim Watts

t'was common in the late '80s, early '90s - a good percentage on my degree were sponsored.

Guaranteed sandwich placement, summer jobs, job on graduation, plus money to live on. One pair of twin brothers on the course were sponsored by Ford - BIG discount on a new car every six months. Each. So they were making cash by taking the discount on whatever was newly launched/cool/ short supply at the time, then selling after three months, too.

Reply to
Adrian

And there's only one way they're going to learn...

Reply to
Adrian

He was making the point that the Daily Mail is shit:-)

Reply to
ARW

Considering the conversation I had with my parents and my brother last week it's a wonder that we WERE allowed to live at their house until we were past

20 years old (or bugger off and turn back up when we wanted to).

Do Mothers have this special memory that allows them to remember everything that her kids have done wrong? And this is EVERYTHING from birth to present day.

Reply to
ARW

That's just women in general regarding any men folk they have been associated with. The only special bit about it being a mother/child relationship is that they have known you since before birth.

You mean she didn't tell of the time you kicked her bladder and she wet herself walking down the High St?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

No. She did not mention that:-)

But she went on and on about us ruining her 25th wedding anniversary party. And that was back in 1991.

And my Dad was not in the clear. He got a bollocking for breaking his leg on their honeymoon.

Do women have a second menopause?

Reply to
ARW

On Thursday 04 July 2013 18:57 ARW wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Just the embarasssing ones. That forms th efirst story they recount to your new girlfriend...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Round about a fiver, for me. On that, I could run a Vespa 150, on diy fuel from the lab. Norwich Union Rider Policy was a fiver a year for up to 350cc and I had conniptions when they put it up to seven quid.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

As a fellow Yorkie of an earlier vintage I might point out the rooms aren't what they were. I went on a tour around James a few years back. Most of the rooms were en-suite, and they provided proper cookers and fridge freezers. As an inmate in Goodricke Cell Block C we had no fridges (I bought one second hand in the end) shared showers & baths, about 1 between 5, and a baby belling 2 ring cooker between about 20 people.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris