OT: Apple Mac computers

I bet the external sound card does the processing even if you don't know about it. Which card do you have ?

Isn't everything ?

Most can't, 3-4 GB is usually enough for most home purposes but when your talking about using that RED camera at 4k you don't stand much of a chance on a personel computer, you need an array of processes and disc space.

That doesn;t look too bad although I;d like to se real world tests.

Regarding the RED camera What are the minimum system requirements for editing? Mac: Intel 2.0 dual core or better ATI graphics card is ideal however I have run tests on NVIDIA in the new MBP and MacPro and it seems to work fine. OSX 10.4 or newer.

7200 RPM Hard Drive

PC: Intel 2.0 dual core or better NOTE: you can use AMD processors but they need to be MODERN AMD, which would have to be a fairly recent release as I believe they are behind just a bit on Intels. NVIDIA graphics card, this is important on the PC as ATI cards are known to cause conflicts. 8600GT or better will work. XP with SP2

7200 RPM Hard Drive.

No mention of vista for some reason.

And why do you think it specifies 7200RPM as minium bloatware ?

data rate does matter when number crunching reading and writing data to and from a hard disc. But then again on the support section of the RED camera it says.

RED QuickTime Codec windows not supported. Read REDCODE RAW files windows not supported RED Log and Transfer Plugin windows not supported

Reply to
whisky-dave

I don't, I borrow one when I need it, a Terratec something IIRC.

#>>>> What do you think uses all the RAM?

You need disk space, you don't need much processing unless you want to see effects in high res at high frame rates.

So what? He thinks AMD are lagging Intel which isn't exactly true.

Because they don't understand the difference between transfer rates and rotational latency I would imagine.

But it doesn't affect the results. A slow machine will work, but slower.

Reply to
dennis

So it's a mixer then isn;t it according to the website

"Home studio owners will particularly appreciate four analogue inputs and six analogue outputs"

Your;emthe one that mentioned the RED camera.

It might be true enough for high end users. Maybe thre's some incompatability they have found

Perhaps you don't anyway I doubt USB would handle it as well as firewire.

Well yes but if yuo're looking at a significant reduction in speed and capacity with laptop hard drives.

Reply to
whisky-dave

So did you resolve your windows problems - or did you buy a mac?

-- Nige Danton

Reply to
Nige Danton