OT and apropos of nothing

"Subdivision" is an Americanism for "housing estate".

Reply to
Adrian

I clearly said houses, not a house.

Reply to
john james

It isn't an Americanism.

Reply to
john james

It isn't even remotely commonly used this side of the Atlantic, but is very widely used that side.

I'd call that an "Americanism".

Reply to
Adrian

Yup, I don't think I've ever heard used in that context here.

Reply to
Chris French

And in plenty of other places too.

More fool you, it isn't.

Reply to
john james

Nope.

Doesn't make it an Americanism.

Reply to
john james

Is the right answer. I knew that (having lived there for 12 years) but wanted to see what response we got.

It *is* an Americanism and is *not* used here, whatever comrade james may imagine.

Reply to
Tim Streater

We used to get a lot of lorries trying to make an impossible turn in front of our house, and every one was using a TomTom to navigate. I complained to TomTom, which meant I had to open an account with them, even though I don't have a TomTom, and then they said that they got their maps from a mapping company, and I should complain to them instead. So I did, and they responded favourably. But it still needed the individual devices to be updated before they received the amended data. There was at this time, a Forum on the Tomtom website, for people who had tried to get responses from the company, but had failed. These were usually concerning devices that failed to work after an update, and similar problems. Eventually, TomTom announced that it was closing the forum down. It was not due to a lack of posters, far from it.

Reply to
Davey

As a Brit. who lived in America for over 30 years, I would say that it is certainly, without doubt, an Americanism.

Reply to
Davey

Commonly used here. It describes the process of taking a piece of land and after getting approvals splitting it up into multiple serviced blocks which are sold off individually and the purchasers then get their own builders (usually one of the big names who have pattern books of standard designs) to build the house for them. Very different to the UK where one developer does the lot.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

"2. North American & Australian /NZ An area of land divided into plots for sale."

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Sign nailed to a tree near here:

SATNAV WRONG. USE BRAIN.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Nope, just not used in Britain.

Never said it was.

Reply to
john james

You're wrong. It's used in a lot more than just America.

You might as well claim that housing estate is a Briticism.

Reply to
john james

Plenty of places where one developer does the lot outside Britain too.

Reply to
john james

Yes it is.

Reply to
Huge

Quite so. As a Brit whose parents have lived in America for over 30 years and having been there more times than I can recall, those parents both having been realtors at one time, the use of "subdivision" as being part of a housing estate is indubitably an Americanism.

Reply to
Huge

And it might well be also an Australianism, but it's not a Britishism.

Reply to
Davey

Probably ought to be in Polish and Hungarian as well.

There are official signs:

Nightjar