OT and apropos of nothing

Heard many factory ones ain't much good.

Yup. All of mine were/are TomTom.

Of course maps can never be 100% up to date. I've found myself driving across what TomTom says is a field on occasion, when it's a new road. But never driven off the end of a pier etc that so many manage to do. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Quite.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Fine if you always have SWMBO on board. And those maps are up to date. It's easier to update the maps on a TomTom than paper ones.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

rapidly skimming the group, I read

followed by

and thought that sounded rather expensive ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I have three - France, Germany and Benelux.

Reply to
Nightjar

Anytime a map would be involved. And they are up to date *enough*.

Reply to
Tim Streater

SWMBO is good at reading maps and navigating, but she gets really travel sick really quickly if she tries looking at maps/reading etc.

So a satnav has made life much nicer/easier - though I do still have a basic road atlas and probably a map of france in there, and take OS maps when we go away.

Don't bother with the dedicated satnav anymore, though it is still in the glovebox, I use Googlemaps or Nokia Here maps for navigation which works fine for my use

Reply to
Chris French

Makes a lot more sense to have one of the best of the satnavs instead, particularly one of the smartphone apps because they will always be much more up to date than any printed map can ever be.

The satnav app works a lot better when there is only the driver in the car and can tell you when you have driven down the wrong road by mistake too.

Reply to
john james

Do most of us have a constant need for the latest up_to_date maps?

I used to get around using a road atlas that was usually ten years old by the time it fell apart and can't recall that being a problem.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

What - SWMBOs? A girl in every port? Isn't that Dave?

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

In message , Sam Plusnet writes

My FIL's road atlas has A14 east of Cambridge as the A45 as was. Which was changed in the mid '90s I think so at least 20 years old probably

Reply to
Chris French

One of those is enough :-)

Reply to
Nightjar

One is one too many.

Reply to
bert

A 10 year old road atlas or county A-Z is still very usable, in fact I can't ever recall manually updating a paper map!

Was stuffed in the last year though when relying on satnav on both an iphone and an android phone. No network coverage, no cached maps, just a dot on the screen and nothing else. With no road atlas in the car and the specially printed OS

1:25000 maps sat at home it was a case of trying to recall the route I had used a few weeks earlier until network coverage resumed. Multiple parallel roads with no real landmarks and no signposts didn't help either!
Reply to
The Other Mike

The odd time it might be the satnav at fault but mostly it is drivers doing what the robot voice tells them without thinking.

Mine flipped in Sheffield last week and if I had followed its instructions slavishly in a region clearly labelled on the ground as "new road layout ahead" would have put me onto M1(S) to go north! First time it has done anything quite so odd mostly it has been very useful and right. It settled down fairly quickly once it was headed north.

I have to warn visitors to my home that some databases including Google maps are unaware of a crucial new bridge and will recommend a route involving a very dangerous prohibited U-turn on a fast dual carriageway.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Kaolin poultice ? You were spoiled A good dash of iodine helped teach you not to do it again.

Reply to
fred

Not with new subdivisions they aren't.

in fact I can't

Reply to
john james

Subdivisions of what?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Houses.

Reply to
john james

Why would subdividing a house need to be shown on a map?

Reply to
Tim Streater