OT: Amazon Fulfilment Shock

Here's a thing.

I often purchase things on the Amazon site, either items stocked and sold by Amazon themselves, or an item sold by a third party merchant seller (e.g. Marketplace). For the latter, I expect the product delivery from the third party in question and certainly not in Amazon's own packaging.

Until yesterday, that is.

I ordered some cables from some random seller on Amazon UK, and they turned up here in Amazon's clothing. It seems Amazon allows other companies to store their selling stock in Amazon's warehouses, for Amazon to do the pick, pack and post and related customer services themselves.

now Tesco are interested. Will they play this fulfilment game as well?

then how about a warehouse full of eBay tat. Ebay fulfilment? Me thinks that's already happening judging by chinese based eBay sellers who have warehouse holding connections here (or individuals having a dodgy account with those 'shurguard / big yellow' storage places).

Fulfilment. The high street straight to your front door.

*boggle*
Reply to
Adrian C

That would imply that the seller not only lays out capital for the stock - but presumably has to pay Amazon storage costs?

Reply to
Tim Watts

There was an idea floated a few weeks ago about some stores installing digital lockers, where firms could deliver goods for collection by a customer at their convenience.

I said to the Mrs then that it seemed like a good idea, and I could see all the big supermarkets getting involved, as it would increase footfall. From there, it's only a small step to piggy back Amazon (or any other e- tailer) deliveries onto a home shopping delivery. After all, people

*have* to be in for that.
Reply to
Jethro_uk

They've been doing it for quite a while now, and very useful it is too. FBA goods qualify for the free next day delivery if you have Amazon Prime.

Such goods are clearly marked, on the product page, with "Fulfilled by Amazon".

Reply to
Bob Eager

Several BP garages have (had?) them ... think they ended up used more for e.g. gas fitters to receive spare parts into than shopping.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Though a supermarket might not want to do this.

Strikes me that the 'click and collect' type services are a strong selling point for the supermarkets (non grocery) online operations , who have loads of stores across the country, open long hours, ideal for people to pick up their order on the way home from work etc.

Reply to
chris French

That's this lot.

local Morrisons has their boxes plainly (i.e. no advertising) stuck to the side of the petrol garage.

Click the 'For You' link for their personal offerings, at £50/year and upwards or £2 PAYG.

Apart from seeing them plugged on BBC Click years ago, I've never seen any other advertising of the service? Mind ye, I don't watch TV adverts at all, or pick up many newspapers - so I might have missed the announcements.

Reply to
Adrian C