OT A level results and Uni places

Just heard a lad on the local radio station saying that he got one C grade and two U grades in his A levels and now cannot go to Uni to study Media studies.

Am I the only one that thinks "Poor bugger, you would be going to Uni if it was not for that C grade"?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Am I the only one wondering why universities are wasting precious resources in running Media Studies courses?

Be fair, he's not going to get into McDonald's with CUU. He has to do something.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Mr Pounder

The Uni can charge them 9 grand a year to watch TV and tell them that they will soon be in charge of the BBC.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

The Natural Philosopher

Because it's a cash cow with relatively little resources required, unlike say, practical physics with its clever lecturers and labs, or computer science with its clever people and labs.

Mathematics probably comes close in terms of lack of resources required to offer a proper course, but you still need clever lecturers

Reply to
Tim Watts

You should have been in the boozer just now with me and a Cambridge trained GP and a physics prof......

Reply to
newshound

Who's round is it:-)?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

If you had a Philosophy Professor there, the discussion would be: "Is a circle round?" then the bar would be closed...

Reply to
Tim Watts

AKA, people who can do sums.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Not only that, when there was political coercion to have large swathes of the population benefit from a "university education", you had to have courses for all the people not sufficiently academic to qualify for traditional subjects.

Reply to
John Rumm

You can manage computer science without doing sums (well not many anyway) ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Pharmacology and needlework?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If you pick the right bits (as I did!).

Unfortunately, we spend 25% of our first year teaching now doing maths...which supports all the non-optional modules, anyway.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Wrong course to be in charge of the BBC you need Accountancy or Philosophy and Politics.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You mean Blair's 50% target? Crazy!

Exactly.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Not sure that is particularly new though is it? When I did engineering in the late 80's we did a term or so of "balancing" maths on top of the compulsory units, just to ensure everyone at least got to the minimum level for the rest of the courses.

Reply to
John Rumm

Not new, but it means it's hard to avoid the maths!

Reply to
Bob Eager