Openreach engineers 4th visit...

It was the sparse nature of the village which caused BT to give us a fibre. Couldn't get a fast enough speed from FTTC to get the subsidy payments.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Old fashioned "625 line" TV was actually 576 (the rest were flyback) and I don't recall the number of horizontal pixels - 4/3 of 576.

We went widescreen, and HD - which gave us 1920x1080. (sometimes only

720 lines)

4k is twice that, and 8k twice again. Sharper pictures.

There's also HDR floating about - better colour rendition, 10 bits per colour instead of 8. It all needs more data.

That's another question entirely. Unless you have a DAMN big screen and sit really close you don't need the pixels.

HDR is nice though - on the odd occasion you can find the stuff to watch. No solarisation.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

HD is certainly nice which is presumably 16Mbps or so uncompressed.But I assume it's compressed down to a lot less than that, no?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Lots Not from any electorate Not for any electorate Not any electorate You can't.

Welcome to the EU

Reply to
brightside

A full 10 bits or 8 shifted as required? I thought the later.

er, no. just doing the mutiplications 1920*1080*3*8*25 gives 1.2 Gbps raw.

Just a little, I think DSAT HD runs at 5 to 10 Mbps, that's fairly watchable. iPlayer squishes it down to below 3 Mbps, the artifacts start to show but are not distracting. I can't watch Freeview as the artifacts are too distracting. Blueray off disc is around 40 Mbps.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Virgin have got an offer on at the moment, 120GB/month @ £20.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I can see all four networks (EE, Vodafone, 3 and O2) without any trouble. Which MVNO you use can restrict what you can access. I have a TPO SIM on EE but can't get 4G. The Asda Mobile SIM also on EE can...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Sarcasm...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That would do capacity and cost wise but whose network to Virgin use?

<digs> EE and 4G, good. 12 month contract not so good. Static IP address? rDNS on that address? Need those to consider it as a main connection and paying anything for a backup unless I actually use it is a no no.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

there were no pixels. It was 'analogue'

Roughly 6Mhz B&W bandwith, which divided by the 25 x 625 line scan frequency is about 384 reasonable transitions per line.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

1920x1080 x 3 bytes deep is over 6 megabytes per frame, raw. Now multiply that by 25Hz and get 1.2Gbps as the raw transfer rate needed.

Of course its compressed.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well Nyquist/Shannon and all that.

we are always pushing the Nyquist/shannon limits. Adsl2+ gets a bit closer, that is all.

I think its a great improvement mainly because it doesnt need to retrain to change speed slightly. It constantly monitors the bins and adds bits or removes tham if it can/needs to.

The BRAS has also gone IIRC. Or at leats is not so coarse and agressivley appiled. You get download pseeds a far nearer the sync speed.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ooops. I was nodding off there all right. :-(

Reply to
Tim Streater

What comes off a DVD is pixels. So is "standard definition" broadcast TV.

(They are of course an emulation of the original analogue transmissions)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Yes, but get up close to the screen and you could see the individual triads of coloured phosphors. The sweeping of the electron beams and their strength may have been analogue, but the display was of discrete triads, energised through the tiny holes in the shadow mask or aperture grille - effectively little different to pixels.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Not on a black and white TV there werren't.

Anyway, that is totaky irrelevant as the broadcast signal was pixel free and only of enough bandwidth to allow about 300 horizintal dots to be shown. Even with an infite number of shadowmask holes.

.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But you could still see every blade of grass, whereas on digital the grass merges into a smeary green thing.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Well that depends...

Bear on mind that that 6Mhz video rate was - with say 30dB SNR - something like 480Mbps equivalent rate.

I am not sure what DTV started out with, but it wasnt that much.

Currently HDTV is around 20Mbps I think. No doubt someone knows exactly.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You mean when we invite the Dali Lama over for another official visit :-)

Reply to
Andrew

Moving all your savings to a 'safe' account :-)

Reply to
Andrew