Going rate for garden fencing

We need about 24 metres of 6ft high horizontal "ranch style" fencing (with "hit'n'miss" planking either side of 4" posts) replaced.

Can anyone give me a ball park figure for replacement? Access is good to both sides.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

In message snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>, Tim+ snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

Don't know but is that how it is done? Easy to climb over. I would expect vertical boards spaced either side of 2 or 3 horizontal rails.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

It's how it can be done. Common around many properties in my area.

That's another way to do it, but it doesn't match what the neighbour has already.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

In message snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>, Tim+ snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

Ah well! Rot will set in where water is trapped between rails and uprights for either system:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I did a 4' fence using feather edge panels not long ago. About 6-7 panels, so about half the length of yours. Materials came to £300, and it took a day to erect. (I'd be quicker second time around!)

I'd expect your fence to require the best part of £1k for materials plus labour for say 3 man-days. It depends on access a bit, as you could spend an hour or two just lugging stuff around.

Has the old fence been disposed of?

How hard is the ground? Could be frozen pretty solid at the moment.

You can save a bit on materials, by mixing your own concrete, rather than using postcrete. That sort of thing.

Reply to
GB

1.8m x 1.8m panels from a variety of suppliers seem to be around £80 each for the design the OP requires (double sided hit and miss horizontal) so perhaps more like £1.3K for materials.
Reply to
alan_m

A large fencing company near me advertises

50ft Supplied and Fitted £568

This includes using 12" concrete gravel boards, 8ft concrete posts and

6ft x 5ft pressure treated feather edge panels.

This is based on a plot of land that currently has no other fencing installed and in a straight line only.

So, say £900 for 24 metres.

Plus, say, price differential for 13 panels between feather-edge and horizontal hit and miss of £60 per panel = £780

Plus removal (and disposal?) of old fencing

Ballpark starting price approx £2K

Reply to
alan_m

That's pretty cheap. Do they have a good reputation? There's a lot of materials in that, so they won't be allowing a lot of time for fitting. Maybe, they'll skimp on something?

They could just be very practised at it, of course. :)

Reply to
GB

Based on their pricing of the individual items and with an allowance for, say, a bag of postcrete per post: £360 for materials (inclusive of VAT and delivery) and £200 labour

They have been around quite a while and have a very large premises (outside yard) stocked high with fencing material so they must be doing good business.

The caveat with price is virgin ground and a straight run. The possible problem with an old fence is the existing (maybe rotten) posts may be in the same location as the posts for the new fence.

Reply to
alan_m

No, not panels. Horizontal planking staggered on either side of fence posts to allow wind through.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

No, not panels. Like this:

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

That's really only a couple of guys for a bit over half a day.

It's not exactly a skilled job (heck, I could do it, assisted only by my wife!), so you are talking labourer rates. But, the guys are going to want around £70 a day, so that means charging them out at £150 a day to make a profit.

The old posts are almost bound to be where you want to put the new ones. It's not just sod's law. The fence panels, despite going metric, have not really changed in size from 20-30 years ago.

Reply to
GB

I have just had 9m of 4ft high pallisade type fencing done for our front garden. It took a man a short day and cost around £500 - South Coast. So, £1.5 to £2k, maybe?

HTH J^n

Reply to
jkn

Wearing my engineering hat, I would be interested to know how much difference that design actually makes to wind loads. Fluid dynamics is not really my subject, but I might have a go at some calculations. I would be very interested if someone does know the real answer.

I'm sure plenty of people will assert, with great confidence, that it is much better but I have my doubts. This design tends to be structurally stronger than cheap panelling and often mounted on better posts.

I bet if you shelter behind it in a decent wind, you don't feel much coming through. This means all that dynamic head has gone somewhere.

Reply to
newshound

I wondered about that. Likewise, I've never studied fluid dynamics. This case clearly depends on the height of the boards, the height of the gaps, and the horizontal distance between the two sets of boards. So, I don't think you're necessarily talking about just one set of calculations.

Reply to
GB

Sellers of standard hit-and-miss panels are careful to claim no more than a reduction of "up to 15 percent" in the wind load.

I also ducked fluid dynamics but a good practical clue to the fact that you need _big_ gaps to make a significant reduction in wind load are the specifications for chain-link fencing. Even fences with c. 2 inch mesh need sturdy posts and heavy gauge wire if they're to withstand gales.

I also recall the difference it made moving to the downwind side of a chain-link fence when it was snowing and blowing on the Dales many years ago.

Reply to
Robin

Good points. Doing a very little research on the web tends to support my view. One thing which should work though is "louvre" type fences. Can't recall ever seeing one, but they evidently do exist.

Reply to
newshound

In message <KpqdnaN2R9nOnd snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk>, newshound snipped-for-privacy@stevejqr.plus.com> writes

Wasn't there something about slatted sails on boats years back?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Well I *have* studided fluid dynamics and I wouldnt want to hazard a guess let alone try and calculate what would be at best a massiveley messy approximation nearly as bad as attempting to calculate the effects of CO2 on the global temperature.

What limited theory does apply suggests that the turbulence of a slatted fece will be producing higher frequency vortices so that it will tend to hiss or sing rather than shudder, if that makes sense.

I am fairly sure slowing the wind will be nearly as effective. ISTR dive brakes were full of holes for similar reason - to reduce vibration. They still worked,

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Very good point about dive brakes. Several different examples on Google Images. Some are slotted rather than having round holes. Could also be to increase the effective area for a given weight (but I agree about the vortices).

Reply to
newshound