Reply to
Tim Streater

Which things?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Coo-er lor' lumme strike a light!

Reply to
Tim Streater

You have a 40Gbps connection to your home? Cor!

Reply to
Tim Streater

Slippery buggers those decimal points. Perhaps we ought to switch to using decimal commas like most of mainland Europe ;)

Reply to
Robin

In the UK fibre to cabinet is called FTTC.

Fibre to a small number of subscribers is called FTTRN - BT were trialling it not far from me but it worked out rather uneconomic since the only qualified PSU was the one for a full cabinet - meaning that to supply half a dozen homes they incurred insane running costs.

It has all gone very pear shaped and they haven't done much round here for ages. Peer to peer microwave is mopping up those that can get it.

It is also a bit of a mess with some OpenReach cabinets at capacity:

Round here they break one circuit for every three they try to mend.

Again not in the UK there aren't and out in the sticks there are quite a lot of exchange only phone lines with no cabinets at all.

Reply to
Martin Brown

It is about enough to stream one full channel UHD/QD 4k Netflix TV and still be able to do a few other things simultaneously.

It would struggle to deliver 8k TV.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Fibre to the kerb has the box powered by the houses it supplies.

That?s FTTRN by another name.

and out in the sticks there are quite a

Reply to
dkol

The biggest benefit that I've found for FTTC over ADSL is the much higher upload speed for sending large emails or ftp-ing things or uploading them to the cloud: where we used to live we got about 6 Mbps for FTTC compared with the normal 0.5 Mbps for ADSL. The increase in download speed from 7 to 20 was very nice, but as you say there is a limit on speed beyond which you don't notice much improvement in day-to-day usage.

Reply to
NY

Not here.

I've been on FTTC for several years now and it's through a large green cabinet (FTT*C*?).

Three or four houses? No, no way is it so limited: it wouldn't be economic.

There is FTTRN for a dozen or so but it is uneconomic and something of a disaster. The last vaguely optimistic public facing news was in 2014.

I challenge you to find anything favourable said about it after that date. There may be a few happy subscribers somewhere or other who will spring to its defence. Lets see if any are reading this?

Meanwhile peer to peer microwave links are picking up most of the rural farmers round here who need reliable and moderately fast broadband. You need strict line of sight to another node for it to work.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I doubt a blowing bulb could induce anything like enough current to damage a phone connection. Usually it is hitting it with a TDR test pulse that temporarily heals a failing rectifying bad joint.

Most line noise in my area is caused by tree branches scraping the insulation off (or breaking) the overhead phone lines.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Tim Streater formulated the question :

We all know I my keyboard skipped a decimal point - 39.950Mbs :'(

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Yes. Upload speed is significantly useful. But on ADSL2+ at the end of

3.5 miles of now reasonable copper I am getting 1Mbps+ upload.

A lot better than 448k of the original ADSL.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It was probably around 100A.

I think you will find that is easily enough.

Thisd d9dnt heal, it broke

Not here. I am underground once the line goes across the road to the pole all the way to the exchange, apart from one cabinet in the village centre .

Floouded undergoround junction boxes are the norm.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On my line which is several miles (we're about 6 miles *as the crow flies* from the exchange) we get about 1.2 down and 0.2 up - according to lots of speedtest.com tests. The sooner we can find a new house and move out of where we are living temporarily (my parents' holiday cottage) the better.

Reply to
NY

Yerrs, You fell off the speed cliff there. Can you get 3G/4G?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oooh, all sorts.

Reply to
MissRiaElaine

There's one right outside my kitchen window. Nice 70W HPS lamp too, not these horrible LED's that are taking over :-( Wonder if I could get them to string a bit of wire from it..?

Reply to
MissRiaElaine

It's better than ADSL, but we'd need a router that could be connected to the internet by 4G rather than xDSL - and a contract that allowed large amounts of data to be transferred. The one I was quoted by Vodafone (for my mobile phone) is £15/month for 4 GB. And we'd need an additional SIM and tariff, otherwise my phone would not be "mobile" :-)

If we knew we were going to be here permanently, it's something that I might consider. The village is so small (two farms, 6 houses, then about 500 metres to the next nearest properties, that VDSL will probably never be economically viable, as with so many sparse populations. What's the minimum number of properties/customers that BT OR will consider before installing a green cabinet? What's the longest distance that VDSL can run over before speed falls off the cliff?

When the cottage first got ADSL a few years ago, having previously had dial-up, I was pretty gobsmacked. I suppose we should be grateful for what we've got.

Reply to
NY