Openreach engineers 4th visit...

What are 4k and 8k, respectively? And why would I need them.

It's no good just saying this or that will suck up bandwidth.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Our FTTC will probably be serving the whole village.

Reply to
Tim Streater

What for?

Reply to
Tim Streater

technology

Where wireless come into it's own, ie where it saves digging a few miles of trench to lay a cable or fibre, shared access is not a serious problem.

What are lamps posts? Oh yes, there's four a mile and half away in the village...

That would be "Fibre to the Remote Node". Still has the limitations of VDSL ie > than about a mile and it's no longer "superfast broadband". One advantage is that it doesn't need mains, it gets it's power from the customers down the copper connection.

The larger cabinets for FTTC can handle up to about 500 customers...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Fibre to the lamppost does not require laying fibre from the street to the home. I suspect this cost would outweigh the cost of wireless equipment on the lamppost.

Going further, AIUI it is also possible that wireless mesh technologies may allow the lamppost base stations to be networked without fibre. Obviously this wouldn't then be called fibre to the lamppost.

Reply to
Paul Welsh

That FTTC is actually fibre to the curb, not cabinet. The cabinet version is more often called FTTN, fibre to the node.

There are also micronodes much smaller than the usual cabinet.

Reply to
dkol

Nothing remote about it.

Still has the limitations

But the copper is no more than 100' at most because its one box per 3/4 houses in the usual suburban house density street.

and it's no longer "superfast

Correct.

Reply to
dkol

Ours is a cabinet similar to the normal phone cabinet, it's about 300 yards away next to it. I can almost see it from the living room window, but it's partially obscured by a small office building.

We're half a mile from the city centre and we've been told there's little or no chance of FTTP here. Apart from anything else, we're in a three-storey council block and I can't see them going for it, it'd be a pig to install piecemeal, they'd have to do all 6 flats at once and I can't see that happening any time soon.

Reply to
MissRiaElaine

Doing things faster.

Reply to
MissRiaElaine

IN several villages locally the new fibre Telcos have been digging more than what the moles do! firm s like Gigaclar etc they get very good subsides to dig;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

That is seripous;y anm optipon for urban dwellers.

I dont have a lamp post within IIRC 6 miles

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My guess is something like that.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Interesting. I DO know that nearby strikes of lightning induce serious currents at serious voltages in phone cable - the death of many a router

- so my mini lightning strike could well have done the same.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not in the UK it aint. We dont have fibre to the curb.

In fact we dont have curbs at all. We have kerbs.

Not in use in the UK

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

that's what they say when we went from 2400 to 9600 baud modems...

it will be to stream you a completely total virtual reality in which Jermey Corbyn is a kindly God, and everything works out OK because Big Brother Brussels makes it so.

And you get to have sex with Jennifer Lopez any time you want.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

To the first statement yes, there was still a small crackle, to the second no. It radically changed the line to the point where speeds and noise were all over te place and making a call smahed the broadbanmd.

It has retrained many many times since the event,

I have it all logged. The graphs show that the router went down with the power and the line came up bad and stayed bad till the engineer fixed it, after 10 days of rock solid uptime befoer the bulb blew.

I don't blame you for being sceptical but it is such a total coincidence that it has to be linked

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I cant get 100Mbps DSL :-)

Theengineer said 'we wre doing it in rural locatins to *get the average speeds up*.

Sounds like meeting some OFCOM directive.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Tim Streater submitted this idea :

I now have 39950Mbs via FTTC and no, I really don't absolutely need that. I managed perfectly well with the 16Mbs over entirely copper.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

If the telly's that good, won't there be fewer kids?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Less than 1 second to download a DVD?