One for Mr Pounder

As I do not have your email address Ill post on the newsgroup.

Steve

I forgot to tell you about the Tour Of Yorkshire starting from Barnsley.

One of my work colleagues is a big cycling fan. So on the Friday he decided to ride his bike from Doncaster to Barnsley (dressed in Lycra with his gut hanging out) to watch the start of the race.

He got 2 miles from Barnsley town centre before getting into the wrong lane at a roundabout and getting run over by a car. He missed the start of the race and had to fetch the mangled bike home in a works van.

Reply to
ARW

I hope that the wanker on the bicycle felt pain.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

What no cycle lanes up there? WE could sell them some of ours in London, nobody uses them until you want to cross the road or get to the 'floating' bus stop. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

We have several cycle lanes. And most mornings on my way to work the cyclists are on the dual carriageway and not on the cycle lane.

Reply to
ARW

Are you sure about this? Most untrained, unregistered, irresponsible, untraceable, uninsured, violent, poverty filth riding silly bicycles that I see are on the footpath. Until they meet me.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

erm.. that bike cost more than my car.

Reply to
ARW

It'll be really safe in one of your works vans then :-)

Reply to
Andrew

You are insured, you pay to use the road, you are registered, you are trained, you are traceable. Cyclists are not.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

We have a nice one here. A perfectly straight road, just over half a mile long. For many decades it worked well. There was enough space to pass cyclists - even more so, as people coming the other way generally moved closer to the kerb to enable extra passing space. I always felt fine there on a bike or in a car. The speed limit was 60mph.

Then they dropped the limit to 40mph.

Then they narrowed the road to widen the pavement (which ran along one side) into a combined pavement and bi-directional cycle path.

The result is that cyclists still ride on the road, but it is too narrow to pass them, so the road is often running at 15mph or less.

Meanwhile, it tees into another road. That road is narrow and windy and has always been scary to cycle along, but has plenty of space between the road and the farmland to add a cycle path. They have, of course, done nothing there!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

They move onto the pavement when the lights on the dual carriageway go to red at a pedestrian crossing.

Reply to
ARW

I detect a hint of envy?

Reply to
Fredxx

Envy?

I have a heater for when it is cold, AC for when it is hot, a roof for when it rains, a comfortable driving seat and not something that resembles a danger to my arse to sit on, I don't need a shower when I get to work, the back and the front seats are big enough to shag on, I have Radio Sheffield, a hands free telephone and I don't wear lycra.

Reply to
ARW