on line forms (2023 Update)

Well well, I didn't know they had build that into Javascript And some bushy tailed script kiddy of a creative decided to make everyone's life miserable by using it

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Or, with Firefox, just a different profile

Reply to
Jim Jackson

I didn't mean to say that it *is* a good security idea, just that someone thinks it is! :-)

Reply to
Chris Green

Not fully. Various national governments have been persuaded to wreck their countries' economies. This will not maximise government revenues, and therefore government employees' wealth.

There has to be a bigger picture.

Yes, this belongs in uk.politics.misc, but that has largely consisted of abelard and Farmer Giles sniping at each other for the last few months. There's more political discussion going on here.

Reply to
Joe

Ah, but the copy/paste I was referring to doesn't use the 'clipboard', it uses the 'primary' selection buffer. It's quite handy actually if you want to have more than one bit of text in a pastable (?) buffer. I use it for creating a subject and body of a message, CTRL/V the subject, middle button the body.

Reply to
Chris Green

The OP uses Windows so I was sticking to that. But FTAOD does your method defeat the script in the link I posted? If so in which browser?

And also FTAOD, I am indeed too idle to boot a Linux OS to test it for myself.

Reply to
Robin

Of course it will if they are being *paid to do it*.

Cf the while remaoner movement. Wreck the country and oppose anything that takes advantage of brexit in order to fool people that rejoining would be better.

Absolutely EU brown envelopes and promises in play.

Or in the case of useless fat arsed civil servants, they are fighting to keep their privileges and jobs

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

As opposed to here business?

Reply to
Chris Green

Surprisingly with Chrome on an iphone, the codes sent by SMS are automatically available for pasting and work fine even with those [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] fields. Very handy indeed.

Dunno, none of the forms I use ever ask for that and my password manager doesnt work in Win7 now anyway. I am about to migrate the main system to Win11 and will be trying to find a new password manager I like given that I currently use RoboForm and they have no record of my original paid purchase and now store the passcodes centrally and have a subscription service. I prefer to keep my passcodes locally even if I have to manually copy the database between devices given the LastPass got hacked and took ages to even admit that.

Reply to
Rod Speed

That's happened for me now that we have seen the last update for Chrome on Win7 because it is my main browser.

Just realised recently that Kindle for PC which is my main ebook reader hasnt been updated for Win7 for a long time now and Calibre either for more than a year now. Some real glitches with the Logitech mice and keyboards too.

Just about to migrate to Win11 which works fine on my new convertible laptop.

Reply to
chop

Everywhere business most likely.

Reply to
Richard

I take it that does not translate to "drive erasure" :-)

You can remote into a machine, for certain kinds of failures.

If two things in the broken machine get into a fight over memory allocation, you don't normally escape those.

Remoting in is reserved for a failure of the display manager. If the display manager is hooped on the broken machine, you can't press "ctrl-alt-del" and get the Task Manager to pop up. Because on the more modern OSes "the Task Manager is nothing special".

Your rescue machine might use mstsc.exe to contact the broken machine over the network. There's something to enable on the machine that likes to break, so that you can remote into it from the other machine. You should practice, while the broken machine is working, so you'll be ready for the next adventure.

And this is what you do on the machine that likes to break, so it will be ready to be rescued the next time. You can't use mstsc.exe on the other end, unless the dialog here grants permission to connect.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Welcome to my world. all too many of these form fields do not say what type they are, whether they allow editing after typing or whether they do not allow cut and paste to work. Lack of instructions and cryptic errors are a serious problem with forms. The ones where you have to put a pin in your address gets me,as there is no indication you can use an alternative method, people give up, but just a bit lower down the page is the traditional post code, select your house method quite often.

I think trying to figure out what it wants for a long card number, does it want them all together, in groups, and do you need the hyphen or not. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

No. Just MS hogging the pc for unexplained purposes. I rarely close down fully. Partly because of some ancient advice about *stressing* electrolytic capacitors but mainly because of the slow start from switch on.

My interest in understanding computer internals ceased about the time the ZX80:-)

I do monthly backups to a separate hard drive in the hope that my data can be moved to a replacement by someone else!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

(Top-posted for Brian).

And then Postcodes, some sites want them as normal, two groups of characters, but some want a straight unbroken list.

And telephone numbers: Two groups, the area code and the local number, or one long list? Sometimes it seems that whichever method you choose, the form insists on the other one.

Reply to
Davey

As I said, every developer and dog rolls their own, rather than using a well tested library version. Many years ago I had to fix a shit input routine that insisted you couldn't have an apostrophe in an email address. Trivial error until mro' snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wants to buy a £500K house and your estate agency can't register him.

There are standards for phone number display and handling.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

It would be really good if everybody adhered to them! At least we would know what worked, rather than having to try different methods.

they can be reported to Ofcom (!)

But why some forms insist on compressing Postcodes, which are clearly designed to be one format only, is beyond me.

Reply to
Davey

The input routine should accept the number including spaces and parens, strip out spaces and parens, and then format it properly. It should also strip off any leading 00 and replace with a +

That'll learn 'em.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I am fairly sure that is not legal in the RFC

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have heard that pigs might fly, too. If only........

Reply to
Davey