Hinge lubricant (On topic, really!) (2023 Update)

Any advice for lubricating a squeeky hinge without making a mess? TIA

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Its that last bit that is the problem. I use three in one oil and then immediately mop up the dribbles and then ditch the old rag. a bit wasteful on oil, but often it will only need it every several years. WD 40 does not do a very good job, but I used to have something called LDR something or other in a spray can that was better than wd and not as messy as normal penetrating oil. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Graphite in little squeeze bottles.

chop

I made a mess with those too. Also made me sneeze. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Trivial to avoid a mess with those.

Trivial to avoid that too.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Last week I used PTFE Lubricant (spray can). No noise now.

Reply to
charles

Silicone spray lube. Or silicone grease applied with a Q tip

You can get both online or at local Halfords, at least, and possibly elsewhere

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The WD40 version containing PTFE works well on hinges/locks, does whiff a bit though.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Silicone spray such as furniture polish.

Reply to
Bev

Don't you need something that will clean off easily with a common solvent once it has collected enough dust and become a hard mess?

I use furniture polish on curtain rails and after around 6 to 9 months enough gunge has collected to make the curtain draw a bit harder. A bit of elbow grease can easily clean off the old application on a curtain track but on a hinge you possible need a solvent spray to clean out hinge internals before reapplying.

Reply to
alan_m

The silicon spray that is specifically intended fro curtain tracks is excellent and it is designed not to stain the curtains. I bought a can about 15 years ago which s still in use.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

+1 for 3-in-one. That's been my go to for hinge lubrication for decades. One can (kept under the sink and separate from my garage oils) has lasted me for almost thirty years. My garage supplies of various oils cover everything else.
Reply to
SteveW

Any lube oil or dry solid can do that, just don't apply too much. 1 drop is often too much.

Reply to
Animal

Indeed, I bought one of these for a couple of quid on lidaldi special. By volume no doubt an expensive way to purchase oil, but will literally apply one tiny drop to the place you want it ... 3M version seems to no longer be made/sold, but generic "oil pens" are

Andy Burns