on line forms (2023 Update)

I have been struggling with an online form from DHL regarding a parcel delivery and finally tumbling to the fact that *copy/paste* does not work. The form displays correctly but reports *number not recognised*or similar for the 14 digits pasted. Is this my aged software or? Typed in laboriously works ok.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In most of those cases I find that deleting and retyping the last one or two digits will fool it. Some forms won't take either R-click-Paste or Ctrl-V.

Reply to
PeterC

It's probably got a "whacky" shit regex behind it to force the input into the correct form. Disabling c'n'p should have alerted you that you were in the presence of shitness. I'm sure Brian will have a shit list of sites like that which break accessibility plugins.

Also expect a fucktonne more courier issues as we enter 2023 and the UK has to start doing customs declarations properly.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Sometimes forms don't work properly if you haven't accepted cookies, which sometimes isn't too obvious - usually a thin little bar at the top or bottom of the screen rather than in your face cookie pop-up.

Reply to
alan_m

Could be worse

Avpx

Reply to
The Nomad

It is USUALLY that you have an invisible leading or trailing space. Or some special characters. Try pasting into a vanilla text editor first..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We have always had to do customs declarations properly.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That is a different effect.

If it works when typed it is not a cookie issue

Since keyboard input is indistinguishable from cut and paste, normally they muts have gone to some lengths to disable it - possibly using a timer to reject input that is too fast for a human, so would defeat a computerised hack machine

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

When I have problems like that, using my normal Firefox browser, instead of fighting for ages to find the root cause, which could be any of those listed here by others, I usually just fire up Chrome, and it works I usually try temporarily disabling Adblock PLus and/or Ghostery, and sometimes that works. Don't know why, don't care, I'm just glad to get it done. That may not be the purist's view, but, hey, I went there to get something done.

Reply to
Davey

Cut and paste often doesn't work for forms like this:

Please enter your sort code: [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

where each box takes a single digit, and there's Javascript to move the cursor from one box to the next as you type. If you paste it ends up all going in the first box without triggering the JS, but that form element only accepts one character so the others get ignored.

This is a PITA when using password managers, because they can't autofill details. (or are there smart ones that can handle the 'please enter characters 5, 17 and 27 of your password?')

Theo

Reply to
Theo

It's useful to have a secondary un-adblocked browser for cases where things don't work, or some critical task where you want to be sure there aren't going to be glitches. One of the Chrome-based ones makes sense for that.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Your security timer sounds likely if manually typing a couple of the figures works. I have enabled the Firefox Cookie cutter recently. Saving of great annoyances but possibly also removing important site detail.

Thanks all for the interest and suggestions. I am aware that W7 limitations will eventually catch up with my desktop.

This mornings epic was a hitch with *Turnpike* where a news posting locked up leading to a m/c switch off as the only way out.

Microsoft then took the opportunity of a restart to do a major reorganization of my hard drive:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

It's easy for the form designer to disable paste. (That's not to say they ought to do so.)

If you view look at the source code for the form you'll often see something like

<input type="text" onpaste="return false;" [etc] />

where the etc may likewise stop drag and drop & autocomplete

Reply to
Robin

Isn't it a security thing? It prevents automated scripts being used to make lots of attempts.

Reply to
Chris Green

How would the form be able to tell that you're pasting? OK, if you're using the (clumsy IMHO) CTRL/C CTRL/V sequence then it may be possible but using the totally mouse driven 'select with left button' 'paste with middle button' I don't see how the web form can tell how you entered the characters.

Reply to
Chris Green

I have Brave for some sites when FF doesn't work, I have both Linux and Windows machines and like to keep the browser setups on both operating systems in sync. But I can't find anything that works with Easyjet's site apart from Edge out of Brave, Firefox and Edge. I suppose I should try Chrome but I try to avoid install anything to do with Google.

Reply to
mm0fmf

Not to the 27 countries in the EU. Well not, yet.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

If so, it is (as noted up thread) *shit* security. For a start it is ridiculously over-engineered. A simple nginx or apache rate limiter would be just as effective - and much more immune to *client* side tampering.

See also the number of deluded script-kiddies who have pretensions to being "developers" that insist on rolling their own postcode, telephone, whatever validation routines and invariably getting it wrong.

Create an email address with an apostrophe to see what I mean :)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

My /very/ limited experience suggested the "paste" event was /any/ user-initiated clipboard event that inserted clipboard data - keyboard, Right click & context menu, or browser's menu. Clipboard apis vary but that seems still to be true for Firefox and Edge when tested with

Robin

Well if they want to impede trade that is there business. If I can tarede with china , Canada, Australia and the USA for which there exists no trade deal as such, then the EU can go and f*ck itself.

I successfully imported some Spanish items from Australia when the spaniards were not interested.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher