[off topic] Stats showing letter delivery times?

Yes, it's an excellent service. And you get more insurance cover than with ordinary post.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

DJ spider

In message , Stuart writes

It is not unknown for a first-class letter to take 5 days to get here from London. Or 4 days from the next county (Staffordshire).

Mike (4 miles from the sorting office)

Cheshire

Reply to
M. J. Powell

I wasn't aware of probably because I've never felt the need to check the progress od something that I know was sent SD one day and will be delivered the next . What does SD tracking tell you .Where it is at various stages of it's journey .?

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Like much 'American' English, gotten is simply a form that we stopped using a long time ago, but the Americans kept. About the only common English use of it today is in ill-gotten.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

The OP was, very specifically, talking about the Christmas post.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Yeah, British English and American English evolved at different speeds and directions.

Like we used to use the word fall and then we changed to Autumn, yet the USA kept fall.

Then the word Mom, only seems to be used now by most people of the West Midlands and some areas of Scotland.

Reply to
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Well that may have been his intention but although he does mention this time of year his starting sentence suggested he was looking for data on an ongoing basis . I can't see how anyone could rely on getting stuff by post in any particular timescale at this time ( unless it was sent by RD ). Surely anyone could work that out . If the RM site does have delivery data then it's not likely to be a very reliable indicator given the amount of post they process around this time .

Reply to
Stuart

Which areas of Scotland might that be .?

Reply to
Stuart
[snip]

I live in the West Midlands and I've never heard anyone use "Mom", it's the usual "Mum" around here.

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

Thus spaketh Ivor Jones:

Hence most, as I know there are a few areas that seemed to have migrated to Mum.

Reply to
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Not sure what made you select the newsgroups, but it looks like the first in a "how many posts can be made" challenge, from some bunch of kids.

-- Get 1 GB file storage for free :

Can use any FTP client, or use (provided, Windows XP) utility to back-up specific PC directories to remote storage by using a schedule, or to always 'keep in sync' with your PC storage!

Reply to
NoNeedToKnow

Thus spaketh Stuart:

Not exactly sure, as when I was around various parts including Edinburgh (where family is) I noticed some using Mom (that includes people that have always lived in Scotland, and therefore not bringing their Mom version with them from here in the West Midlands).

Reply to
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

The exception can prove the rule in that you notice it.

Nothing's perfect, even you :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I were brought up in Brum (Longbridge, by the Leyland factory..) and I used, and was taught, 'Mom'.

Reply to
PC Paul

Ah well, I confess to being an ex-patriate Londoner, but I've still never heard anyone use Mom and I've lived here since 1972.

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

In the North East it tends to be "Mam".

Reply to
Frank Erskine

As in South Wales, where my father was born and brought up.

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

Must be the coal-dust in the throat :-)

Actually, "Mam" is probably a direct contraction of the term "Mamma".

Reply to
Frank Erskine

In message , Mary Fisher writes

You've never met me.