Norbert Dentressangle

I realised today that I hadn't seen their lorries for ages. Did some Googling and found they are now XPO Logistics. Sad - I liked that name.

Reply to
John

Always used to make me chuckle. Memorable, too.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

I was amused how long it took Jim'll mix it cement company took to rename themselves. It a shame clueless fuckwits were the reason.

Reply to
whisky-dave

On a related note, SWMBO read something about Eddie Stobart being on the rocks recently ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Some trucks used to be Christian Salvesen, who for some reason had a generator hire company, called Aggreko, which is now a standalone company, still based in Glasgow, I think.

I think an array of big blue containers were all clustered together at the Olympic Park during London2012 to supply backup power, should it be needed. These were Aggreko.

Reply to
Andrew

Andrew

Moi aussi

Reply to
newshound

Counting Norberts was something we did to while away a motorway or autoroute journey. The XPO trucks are nowhere near as noticeable.

Reply to
nightjar

Christian Salveson used originally to operate a whaling fleet. They diversified. The haulage company was bought by Norbert Dentrissagle in

2007.

The large numbers of penguins at Edinburgh Zoo is a as a resultb of the whaling crews taking penguins as pets on their travels and not being able to keep them when they got home.

Reply to
charles

Sort of French equivalent to Eddie Stobart. I always managed to forget how to pronounce the 'memorable' name within a minute of seeing one.

Reply to
PeterC

Seems to be since it became Deaddie Stobart.

Reply to
PeterC

I used to count the number of times father said "bloody".

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Yes, we were always seeing 'Norberts' going along the M2. I hadn't noticed they'd disappeared!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Probably found nobody could remember it. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

They seem to use white or grey now and it used to be orange with a brown base back in the '90s.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

My little car's been through the mangle It was bashed by Dentressangle

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

The wing mirror's now a missing part It got sideswiped by E. Stobart

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Oddly enough, I was just thinking recently that I hadn't seen their lorries recently. I have seen Dentressangle occasionally referred to as Deathstrangle.

Christian Salvesen, despite the name, were a Scottish company based in Leith. I remember my dad telling me that and not quite believing him.

Reply to
Halmyre

I always liked the late Terry Wogan's name for them - Norbert Disentangle.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

As an aside, can anyone positively confirm the 'Stobart' is pronounced 'Stobbart', and not 'Stowbart'? A couple of years ago, I'm pretty sure that I heard one of the family on the radio, and he said it was 'Stobbart'. But despite this, in a TV documentary about them everyone consistently said 'Stowbart'.

As a second aside, how should you pronounce 'Dentressangle'?

Reply to
Ian Jackson